IH 3500A Fuel problems

grounder

New User
I have a IH 3500a loader and it starts ok but when i rev it up and try to work it the motor revs up and after a few seconds it will die .I put a new electric fuel pump on it and new filters but it still dies from lack of fuel. does the injector pump have a filter inside it or a restriction somewhere so it can't get enough fuel. It has a 239 4 cylinder motor. I apricate any help.

I have a IH 3500a loader and it starts ok but when i rev it up and try to work it the motor revs up and after a few seconds it will die .I put a new electric fuel pump on it and new filters but it still dies from lack of fuel. does the injector pump have a filter inside it or a restriction somewhere so it can't get enough fuel. It has a 239 4 cylinder motor. I apricate any help.
Hello grounder, welcome to YT! Here is a parts diagram of your engine, it looks like it has a Bosch pump.CNHI D-239 engine parts There is no filter in the pump. There may be a screen on the inlet I didn’t look that close. Its only purpose would be to keep anything large from getting in there. Not a 100 percent sure that CNHI claims your tractor. I believe it was built during the time when IH sold out their industrial line to Dresser. I am more familiar with Roosamaster pumps, I know if you pull the throttle open on them and then if it over speed the engine a pump overhaul is what it needs. I am going to say the same probably applies to your pump as well. Here is what I would recommend, go up to the little envelope or mail icon. Click that and then click “Start a new Conversation” that is the Private Message system on here. In recipient type Dieseltech, when it shows click on it. Then title is as you did here and copy you post opening discussion there. That will go to him, he runs a IJ pump repair shop in Indiana. Many members here ship pumps to him for repair. I All I have ever heard is how good of job he does and how reasonable his prices are. Now since I am bumping your post up to the top he might see it anyway. Best of luck!

Hello and welcome to YT, I am very familiar with the agricultural models of your 3500A. The IH 3500A is based on the Ag IH 574, 674, 684 models with German D-239 engine with Bosch VA injection pump. The symptoms of the motor revving up and down and then stalling is indication of fuel starvation. On the AG versions the fuel tank is a saddle tank on the rear fenders but from photos of a 3500A the fuel tank is on the left side in front of the rear tire. On the AG models the fuel tank had an outlet with a shut off valve and an inlet for the return line. Today's newer ULSD Diesel fuel causes these older fuel tanks to rust inside and the rust will clog the outlet, so taking fuel tank filler cap off and using compressed air to blow both lines back into the tank will be a short term fix but long term is removing both outlet and inlet valves, drain and clean tank and fuel lines.
On the AG models there are two fuel filters on the right front of engine and then a fuel line out of the secondary fuel filter that runs around the front of engine behind the fan to the input of the injection pump. On the older models this fuel line used to have a part close to the injection pump that was braid metal over rubber line and the rubber would fail and partial block the line, on newer machines this was replaced with an all steel line.
Both input and return lines must be clear. Test for good flow from the tank, since the 3500A has the tank below the level of the injection pump and has an electric fuel pump the test is different from AG models with gravity feed. Test, with Ignition switch off and clean bucket, disconnect the fuel line at the input to the primary fuel filter and put it into the clean bucket, now turn ON Ignition switch and fuel pump should make fuel flow the full of the input pipe for at least 30 seconds or longer, if it dose not check for clogged lines and outlet of tank.

There were a couple different types of fuel filters on the AG tractors the short CAV type and the longer Bosch type.
See photo below, if you have the CAV type and the NAPA Gold brand with the inlet ring around the outside make sure that it is installed correctly and the O-ring is not dropping into the ring on the outside.
PS, to keep that Bosch VA pump working well add either some Diesel fuel conditioner or 2 cyl engine oil to the tank everytime you add Diesel.

1713364208391.jpeg

I have drained the tank and it looks clean. I will take off the feed line and the return line and blow them out and check the fitters for any obstructions. I agree there has to be a partial blockage somewhere. Thanks for the feedback ,I apricate the help

Don't ignore the return line. If I'm not mistaken a clogged return will act the same as a fuel supply problem. Things get backed up because the excess fuel can't circulate back to the tank.

There is another possibility that could cause fuel problems, does your 3500A have a manual STOP/START/RUN lever or pull cable on the Dash below the steering wheel or does it have an electric solenoid on the injection pump that is activated by the Ignition switch?

See photo below of Bosch VA pump, take note of the fuel control lever position in this photo, fully forward against the Power Screw is the RUN position, just touching the tip of the extended Shut-Off plunger is the Cold START position, all the way to the rear depressing the Shut-Off plunger is the STOP position.

See second photo of the Fuel Control Plunger Shaft, on rare occasions with the new ULSD Diesel fuel the Fuel Control Plunger will seize inside the pump and when the STOP/START/RUN cable is forced it will break that small pin off the end of the shaft item #2 and now there is no control
over the Fuel Control Plunger, it maybe stuck in the Shut OFF or somewhere in between that and the RUN position. Hope that is not the problem with your 3500A.

One other note of caution, DO NOT CRANK the ENGINE too long with the STARTER or you burn out the starter, allow STARTER to cool between long periods of cranking.
Also try loosening the fuel tank filler cap before trying to start just in case the fuel tank vent is plugged causing a vacuum.

1713446739480.png

Fuel Control plunger shaft
1713447341345.png

Last edited:
Thank everyone who replied to my post. I found the problem tonight, it was a collapse hose from the fuel filter to the injector pump.thanks again for your input

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back