IH 454 Engine Oil

webolution

New User
I bought an IH 454. The owners manual mentions using SAE-30 above 32 degrees and SAE-10w below 32 degrees. My issues is I live in Wisconsin where temperatures range from 90 degrees to 40 degrees below zero. So I guess I am wondering what oil weight I should use? Recommendations?

15W40 diesel grade oil has been the new standard (here on YT) it is recommended for all gas and diesel engines. It contains the appropriate additives for flat tappet (old school) engines. It also provides the advantage of thinner cold, and thicker running temp of multi wt. oils. Rotella, Delo and others are recommended quality sources. Jim

You don't say if it's gas or diesel, but it doesn't really make any difference, use diesel oil. What does
matter is if you store it inside and can preheat the engine for starting in cold weather. We had a B275
when I was on the farm, and it was very hard starting. I use Mobil Delvac 15-40 diesel oil in our JD4600
year around, but I never try to start it cold without preheating, and it starts immediately. Don't use
automotive oil in it, that's for engines with roller cams and catalytic convertors.

I almost exclusively use my 2424 gas in the winter, so I have been using regular old 10W30 for years. I would not be doing that if I used it hard during warm weather at all.

Tim

i prefer rotella 15 40.its easiest to find with great quality.some
dollar generals even sell rotella

Is it possible your manual was written before
multi weight oils?
I use 10w40 in my Farmall C in Terre Haute.

I'm not an oil expert.
I also have All-timers, so fact check this.
I think 10w40 is 10 when it is cold and 40 when
it is hot.

Automobile oil is designed to be used in flat tappet engines and reverse compatible to any engine ever designed to run with an SAE rated detergentated oil if you use the right weight specification. Zinc is only a big requirement during break in on a flat tappet engine and then only if you are working with heads that have high valve spring tension. The C157 is 43 to 53 years past break in and the cam is in is good of shape as its ever going to be in. With low rpm and low compression, you could fill that engine with vegetable oil and get most of the lubricating properties it needs.

Fill it with 10W30 and regularly check the oil - meaning once a day or before starting it if not used daily. Even if the engine is in good shape it will burn some oil on a regular basis. When new the
tolerances on these engines was pretty sloppy given 1970's assembly line processes and manufacturing techniques. Coupled with 40 to 50+ years of use I doubt it is going to burn less oil. Even if multi
weigh oil was available when this engine was new it was not near as stable is it is today. Multiweights used to break down fairly quickly under heavy use and many manufacturers continued to use
straight weight oils for heavy duty situations. If it burns excessively (more than a half quart per tank of fuel) move up to 10W40 or 15W40. About anything you use today will be better than what was
put in it back in the 1970s.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back