FERGUSON TO20 ENGINE OIL?

What is the best engine oil to use? I think SAE 30 is recommended but I live in an area that will experience temps under 20 degrees F a few months out of the year. Should I use 10w30?

I use 10-30 in mine. Keep in mind what oils were available back in 1950. There was no such thing as multi viscosity. Others will recommend 20-40 diesel oil because of on old wives tale about zink.

10-30 will be good for cold climate, 15-40 is more popular, especially if the oil pressure is running low.

Diesel oil is better suited for the old flat tappet engines. Modern auto spark engine oil is designed for roller cams and emission systems.

15-40 oil will also work in the gear cases.

Modern oil is energy conserving. Means it drains off internal engine parts expediently. Heavy duty oil leaves a film behind reducing dry
starts. 15/40 Diesel oil has zinc in it that might extend lifter/cam life. Some say it does, some say it does not.
Once you replace a flat cam in any engine your opinion might change one way or another.
Zinc oil in that engine equipped with a CAT will shorten the life of the CAT.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back