IH 454 LEAKING OIL UNDER SEAT

1962IHRED

New User
RECENTLY PURCHASED A IH 454 UTILITY TRACTOR THAT KEEPS PUSHING HYDRAULIC OIL OUT OF THE BREATHER UNDER THE OPERATORS SEAT. ALL HYDRAULICS SEEM TO BE WORKING OKAY. THE PTO WORKED WHILE HOOKED TO A 10' BRUSH CUTTER(JUST SITTING IN SHED), RAISED AND LOWERED 10' CUTTER OKAY, STEERING SEEMS TO WORK FINE, 3 POINT WORKS OKAY(NO WEIGHT ON IT), HAVE PULLED MC VALVE OFF AND TRANSFER PUMP SCREEN LOOKED CLEAN, BLACK RUBBER SEAL ON BACK OF HYDRAULIC PUMP IN GOOD CONDITION, BLEW OUT HYDRAULIC OIL COOLER LINES, CHANGED HYDRAULIC OIL AND FILTER. ONLY DROVE TRACTOR UP AND DOWN ROAD. TRACTOR STARTS TO DOG DOWN WHILE IN 4-HIGH WIDE OPEN. I THINK WOULD KILL TRACTOR IF I DID NOT CLUTCH IT AND IDLE DOWN. NOT SURE IF THIS IS RELATED BUT SEEMS TO PUSH MORE OIL OUT THEN. CASE-IH DEALER THOGHT REAR END WAS OVER FULL. NOT THE CASE SINCE THE SECOND TIME I CHANGED HYDRAULIC OIL, I ONLY ADDED 8 GALLON WHEN IT CALLS FOR 9 GALLON. TRACTOR SAT ALOT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. HYDRAULIC OIL LOOKED KINDA MILKY WHEN I DRAINED IT FIRST TIME. SEEMS TO ME OIL IS NOT GETTING OUT OF THE REAR CHAMBER FAST ENOUGH. ANY IDEAS, SUGGESTIONS OR ANSWERS ARE WELCOME!!!!! THANKS

I don't see any reason he should have to retype his post...i think most of us know he's not SHOUTING. This isn't FB, usually the typing police don't show up.

Welcome, both of you, to the forum. I have no clue what's wrong with your 454... but im sure someone will have an answer soon.
Good luck.

I'm not completely proficient as I am relatively new to my own tractor (444). However, I remember reading something in the Operator's Manual about making sure valves were in certain positions (left and right/front of seat), and if they weren't in certain positions at certain times, it could result in an overpressure/overheating condition. I will find the reference when I get home and get back to you on it.

Cityboy, I went back into the Operator's Manual, but the paragraph I mentioned previously was regarding an overheating condition, not overpressure. Sorry to steer you in the wrong direction.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back