IH 460U: Hot hydraulics/Low power under load

AC_IH_MF

Just got done adding a 3 point hitch to my 460U with dual lift cylinders. Everything seemed to working correctly, lots of lifting power, starts/idles great, revs up (although extremely fast) until I got it hooked up to a heavy PTO load.

Fairly quickly I noticed the hydraulic return line was getting hot, hot enough I could barely hold my hand on it and the whole trans case was getting hot. I have a 7' flail that the tractor could not power through in low gear through lawn grass. The tractor should have twice the power required as my smaller 30hp/1.3L diesel pulled this same flail twice as easy as the 460. Tractor bogged down and noticed after maybe 15-20 minutes of messing with it that the coolant was near overheating as well.

I suspect that the hydraulic pump is running constantly causing the fluid to get hot. The hydraulics did not seem to lose any power during this time though. [b:c8ba323d55]Would the pump running 100% cause the lack of power though? What about loading the engine enough to get near overheating? [/b:c8ba323d55]

I did have all of the hydraulic valve bodies off and partially disassembled for new o-rings and gaskets. The orifice screen was not dirty but did clean it anyway. Prior to that I flushed the hytran and put in a new filter, which was almost completely plugged.

A few things I did could potentially be causing an issue. The original single cylinder used the 2 ports rear ward of the battery box but the hardlines also had two plugs closest to the battery box that I also used for the second cylinder. Looking at the parts diagram looks like the rearward ports would be using check valves. The second issue is that the draft control used a second linkage to the cylinder that I cannot use so I've disabled that so the control will move the linkage on the valve body.

I've read of other deadheading due to the double/single acting switches being in half position. While I did have them apart and put in new gaskets I did not see how the switch would engage the valve to change it. Prior owner put a gasket with no whole cut out so it would have been inoperable. I was not terribly concerned with this at the time as I did not plan on using the remotes.

I would not have purchased this 3 point if I had known all of the issues. Steiner listed it as fitting rowcrops AND utilities. After I contacted them they changed the description but seem to be dodging my inquire. The fenders do not fit without modification and I had to torch out a chunk for the PTO rod to clear the hitch.

Open center hydraulic system? The pump should run 100 percent of the time, when not using hydraulic power the fluid should flow thru the system with very little restriction. I would look for either a new restriction in a valve or return line, or a major leak that is generating all the extra heat. An infrared thermometer can help pin point where the heat is being generated.

I'm thinking the issue is with the valve body single/double setting or the right most valve body with the screen. I'm not sure how the cage in the remote valve bodies engages the control lever and internals as it seems to just flop around inside.

Ih didn't use closed center system till the late 86 series tractors on domestic models. As for ones over the water not sure. His 460 would be open center. I think he has a problem with his valves and in what ever he did with either the valve work or is deadheading lines for remote valves unknowingly, or maybe has one line from 2 vales connected and thus causing his problem.

''

I pulled the linkage off the rear lift valve and found that its very hard to get it inbetween going up or down. When I do get the valve centered so that the hitch is not moving I can hear fluid going through the valve that sounds like a small air leak.

I've ordered another regular valve to replace the tel-a-depth valve and I'll move the controls to the hydra touch lever. I think this is my hydraulic issue.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back