IH 464 fuel sender ohm range

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows the ohm range for the fuel sender unit on a 464 gas tractor. Can not find this info in the service manual.

Before I pull the one out of the tank and measure I wanted to see if anyone has this info.

Wanting to replace the gauge as the previous owner already replaced the sender unit.

I did find a post where someone stated the range was 73 full to 12 empty.

Thank you.

(quoted from post at 13:14:59 03/26/23) Hello,
I am wondering if anyone knows the ohm range for the fuel sender unit on a 464 gas tractor. Can not find this info in the service manual.

Before I pull the one out of the tank and measure I wanted to see if anyone has this info.

Wanting to replace the gauge as the previous owner already replaced the sender unit.

I did find a post where someone stated the range was 73 full to 12 empty.

Thank you.
Sounds like the Rochester gauge / unit numbers. There was also another, Stewart Warner
OHM reading 32 Full - 244 Empty
That's what was on the last 424 resto I did.

You really need to check the range of the sending unit, as you probably know the sending unit and gauge need to be a match to read properly

The sending unit does not need to be removed to check resistance. Test ohms from lead to ground. Check @ empty and again @ full.
It's a guess as to what was previously installed.

Thanks Jimtrs. I checked and the 424 takes a different gauge part number. Not exactly sure if the two would have the same ohm ranges.

I don't buy the match none sense. I changed the one in My 806 about 15 years ago and it reads off just a wee bit in the full side. When I put it in it was just a aftermarket one I got from local parts house. Sure it is off just a bit but on the full side. I never ran out on a gauge being off a bit on the full side. I wanted it to be right for the empty so adjusted it to be right. If the sender works the Ohm needle will follow the arm of the sender. IF the wire going to the hot side of the sender is touched briefly to ground it should move the needle on the gauge. If not then I would check the wiring to the gauge. I have usually had the senders go bad not the gauge.

(quoted from post at 14:32:19 03/26/23) Thanks Jimtrs. I checked and the 424 takes a different gauge part number. Not exactly sure if the two would have the same ohm ranges.
Just trying to point out that there may be different sets of senders & units. Verify what the ohm range is of the sending unit you have. Then you know what range a new gauge should be in.

Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back