Ohms for 3000 sending units?

gears

Anyone out there know what the fuel sender and temp sender should read? I can't find the range anywhere. Neither "new" gauges read anything. 7 yr old replacement gauge cluster - from unknown origin, Tach & hour meter worked so I never worried about it.

Before putting the loader back on I figured I would fix some of the details.

Bench test can get the fuel gauge to work but no joy on the temp sender. Dug the old cluster (with 3697 hours and a broken/stuck pointer) out and both gauges work (on the bench) - going to swap the old temp assembly into the replacement cluster but would like to test the senders / wiring on the tractor too.

I'm thinking the 3000 was around 70 ohms empty and 10 ohms full... but I have forgotten what I have forgotten. Remember the voltage stabilizer on the back of the instrument panel must work correctly and there must be a ground on the instrument panel for it to work. Most of the time, the gas sender has corroded up and is bad while the temp gauge is working.

1/2 tank shows 2.7M ohms
Temp @ 80F is reading 1.125k

good ground to gauge/cluster, Voltage Stabilizer reading batt volt (12.2)

Spent an hour re-housing the OEM gauge into the aftermarket cluster (drilled new holes, insulated, installed, re-painted needle etc.).

Put it back in and made it 40' before it let me know I forgot to open the fuel tap... not enough time to warm up, tank still showed empty. Got fed up and came in to get lunch...

You generally need to source new senders and new gauges from the same source. The replacements these days are not made by Ford, or New Holland for that matter, and a gauge from one source may not work with the resistance range of a sender from another source.

Back when I rebuilt the motor (2013?) I broke the temp sender and bought an oem replacement.... Fuel tank I took apart and believe I had to solder the rheostat but can't remember.

A quick spin in the woods and the old temp gauge with the replacement oem sender worked great, right in the middle!

Fuel gauge is no joy. Guess when I only put 51hrs on in 8 years I can afford to look in the tank once in awhile.

I have that info in the shop will have to check it tomorrow.

1969 ford 3000 temp diesel if it makes a difference.
Low/cold 360 ohms at 60 deg
mid 100 ohms
hot center of red 50 ohms

Every ground even grounds you have never thought of will fight you. The brass lug where it was staked to the panel was the issue with this temp gauge. White arrow pointing at it.

mvphoto107899.jpg

The best thing to do is make up a new dedicated ground and attach it to the panel with a screw : ) Life will be good!!!

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=11077389&highlight=ground#11077389

Sender info in this post.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=10606731&highlight=ground#10606731

I am think I have the fuel sender info for a 3000 in the shop I would think it would be the same as this one.

Fuel sender 1969 ford 3000

empty 210 ohms
full 17 ohms

This post was edited by Hobo,NC on 07/26/2023 at 08:55 am.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back