IH 560 Diesel Coolant question

Good afternoon all,

I'm still waiting form my service manual to arrive so thought I'd throw this question out to you. I replaced the radiator in my IH 560 Diesel as well as installing a frost plug heater into the engine block. Since I had to drain some of the coolant from the block when installing the frost plug heater, how do I get coolant into the block to replace what was drained? I thought by running it and heating it up would open the thermostat and allow coolant to enter into the block. Although, the amount in the radiator has not changed since I filled it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

A lot of thermostats have a small hole in them so that even before it opens there is a little of flow and because of that when you fill the system it self fills the block

I think my 560 has a bleed vent on the bypass line, if you have one open it to let the air out. Thermostat should have a bleed too, but it's really small.

Thank you Rustred. I figured that was a by-pass. I cracked that open for a moment and of course there was coolant coming out. Should the petcock hole be blocked to let coolant pass into the block once it is opened or just let what ever air and coolant come out until it has reached the correct level?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back