IH 656 HydroDrive Issues

fordtractor1

New User
Good afternoon -

First off, thanks for the help on my other thread. I've spent the last 3 months helping a friend get his 1967 IH 656 Gas Hydro tractor engine running. After an in-frame rebuild things the engine is running great.

The tractor sat for years which necessitated the in-frame. But now that it is running, it doesn't really want to move.

Before starting it, I made sure it was full of all fluids. Added 5 gal to the hydraulic system. After the engine break in, I cycled the steering wheel and the power steering "woke" up and seems fine. I went to move the tractor and it took a bit to get it move so I slowly worked the lever back and forth and the wheels started to move. Eventually, it backed out the shed and drove around the yard on flat ground great.

Loader is back on and it moves as it should and seems strong.

There are some issues though:

- In reverse, it will only rotate the back wheels about 1/2 a rotation before it stops moving. I can go back to forward and it moves forward fine.
- I tried to take it down the hill in our yard and it could not pull the hill back up. Engine would bog and die.
- Lever in low range bogs the engine and makes a loud whine noise. No forward or backwards movement.
- F/R lever needs to be in the "fast" 1/2 of the forward select range to move at all.

Got it running on Sunday. It's driven around the yard for maybe 5 minutes total. New filter on the LH side of the tractor. Fluid is clean and reads full. Haven't changed the other filter yet. (behind a plate on the RH side I believe)

I need to pull it back into the shop to fix a small leak on the valve cover and then start to diagnose this. The hydro drive is new to me. Is there risk in moving the tractor still? I've read there are some relief valves that could be the issue but I'm wondering if I can still do this myself or if we need to call in the experts.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor and get on ebay and look for a 544/656 hydro troubleshooting guide. I tells you how to adjust the forward/reverse lever
and other tricks to keep your hydro in top running condition. It's well worth the price.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back