IH 686 hyd leak??

Bkpigs

Finished baling with my 686 diesel gear driven tractor. Got it and the baler cleaned up and didn't notice any oil leaks. My 2 yr old boy wanted a tractor ride so we took off on the 686. Went a few miles down the road when I noticed oil on the left axle housing where it meet the trans. Climbed off and seen it was comin from under the platform. We headed for home and it was dripping pretty decent. Yesterday I removed the platform and could not find the leak. All the lines were dry. The only thing I can come up with is it was coming out of the vent. The hyd fluid is about 1 inch over the full mark. Odd how this would happen when running down the road at about 1/2 throttle and not in the field when everything is turning at full throttle. Has anyone else had this or am I missing something?

The axle is turning proportionally faster in road gear. splashing and throwing Hytran against the under side of the cover. A new gasket, and very
thin coating of black RTV on both metal surfaces will fix it. Jim

It was wet around the vent on the flat area, so the fluid was definitely coming from above the axle housing. This seemed to be too much oil from the vent but all lines were dry. It appears the cover for the transmission is a solid piece. The mating line with the 3 point housing was dry.

If the oil is yellowish it can get foamy from water suspended in it. The water might also point to the overfill. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back