IH 990 haybine

63 830

Member
I am looking for information on a IH 990 haybine. Are they reliable haybines? Do they do a good job? What are somethings to watch for when buying a used one? Are parts still aviable for them? About how much would a good used one be worth? Thanks for any help.
 
They were a very good mower cond. in their day, but they were made in the early 70's. Any one you find is going to have a lot of wear. Check bearings, belts, how much is the roller worn. chains, sprockets, and on and on. Good Luck and don't pay too much.
 
Never heard a lot of positive talk amongst the IH guys about the 990. Comments I remember are that the rolls are not as good as other makes/models for conditioning and the wobble assembly being too light. If IH is what you want the 1190 had a much better reputation and if you are not in a hurry you can find a good one for a reasonable price.
 

I've never used one, but one interesting feature of the 990 was that when you lifted the header all the way up, the pressure would be taken off the rollers, making it easier to clear plugs of hay.

KEH
 
I have been using a IH 990 for the last 4 years it is a great unit. The 990 and 1190 have the same wobble box and it is one of the fastest cutting blades out there.
But yes it is getting old and if not taken care of will have problems. But most of the parts are still available.
When I got mine I paid $400.00
Good Luck Jeff
 
I bought a 990 in 1988 and paid $700.I mowed approx. 345 acres and only replaced the drive chain off the wobble box and the belt that turn the reel.Sold it 5 years later for $700.Wish I had it back. A good machine.
 
had the new idea version of it. It stayed around 20+ years. Was a good machine for a sickle machine. I finally got rid of it when i thought the gearbox was going out. Rollers were made of something called tricor i think. Seemed more like a multiply rubber, didnt flake off like the new hollands, but also seemed to become less "square" on the edges where the rollers meshed. All in all, never really had a problem with it as long as it was maintained properly.
 
I have a 7 footer I've been running for 3 yrs very happy with it. Replaced two belts and some guards and knives. My ground is rough. I'ld buy a 9 footer if I could find a nice one close.
 
I don't think there is any correlation to New Idea and the IH 990.... Pretty sure IH made the 990 all on their own.

New Idea did make haybines for both Ford and Massey though. The NI 290 was a Ford 535 and the Massey 81 Haytender. I'm sure there are other models that NI made for others, but I'm pretty sure the 990 was NOT from New Idea.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
He is referring to the 1190 which was designed by IH and introduced in the late 1970's (the neighbor bought one new in 1980). When IH was broken up in 1985 Case farmed out the hay and forage tool lines out to New Idea. New Idea built equipment for both themselves and Case using the IH designs. This lasted a few years when those designs were dropped for the Hesston designs.
IH did supply some hay and forage tools to Ford in the late 1970's and early 1980's including mower conditioners and forage harvesters among other things. Still see some blue IH's around as there used be a couple strong Ford dealers back in the day.
As indicated before, the 1190 is the only one I would consider unless it is a matter of getting a mower as cheap as possible. I saw a lot of guys holding 1190's while the 990's went to the New Holland and Deere dealers on trade. The devoted IH guys sent them in as soon as the 1190's came out.
 
(quoted from post at 17:28:52 05/10/10) They were a very good mower cond. in their day, but they were made in the early 70's. Any one you find is going to have a lot of wear. Check bearings, belts, how much is the roller worn. chains, sprockets, and on and on. Good Luck and don't pay too much.

I am trying to figure out why the real only turns when there is no load on it. Th pully is working but you can stop real with your hands... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there keys we don't know about somewhere?? LMK Thanks!!!!!
 
i recently aquiried a 990 haybine,and it needs new rollers previous owner had a rock go thru them and he had to cut them out,any info would be great
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top