IH584 engine run problem

old

So it has been not wanting to run well for the last few days. Ran it a bit low on fuel and added more but that was pretty much the start of the problem. I was using it today and it really got bad and I just got it to where I could park it almost and it died. I got it to start back up but ran just long enough to move a few feet and die. Did that 3 or 4 times before I finally was able to park it. Fuel tank is almost full so check me does this sound like it need 2 new fuel filters??? Thanks

You could have stirred up some rust on the bottom of the tank that made it through the drain screen or got some contaminated fuel. 2 new filters and purging the air out of the lines would be worth doing regardless. My CIHs have solid filters but my Fords have a clear filter which allows you to see any water. I recently bought these CIH tractors and haven't looked to see if they have a drain valve on the bottom of the filter or not where you can see if any water is in the fuel. If so, drain some out and let it sit. The Diesel will float.

What happens to these models when they run low on fuel is the fuel inlet in the bottom of the right-side tank will clog up with any dirt that may be in the tank. Take the line off at the first fuel filter inlet and blow back thru the line and it should unclog. You may still need a set of fuel filters, especially if not been changed for a while. To bleed these, it is MUCH EASIER with a full tank of fuel, and let gravity do its thing. Mark.

What happens to these models when they run low on fuel is the fuel inlet in the bottom of the right-side tank will clog up with any dirt that may be in the tank. Take the line off at the first fuel filter inlet and blow back thru the line and it should unclog. You may still need a set of fuel filters, especially if not been changed for a while. To bleed these, it is MUCH EASIER with a full tank of fuel, and let gravity do its thing. Mark.
Ever since I have had this tractor I have had problem with it if the fuel level gets below the top of the tank cross over so I know the cross over line has problems/clogged. Either way it has been 2 or 3 maybe more years since I change the filters

Ever since I have had this tractor I have had problem with it if the fuel level gets below the top of the tank cross over so I know the cross over line has problems/clogged. Either way it has been 2 or 3 maybe more years since I change the filters
There may be dirt in the bottom of both tanks Flushing the lines with a blow gun is easy though. Mark.

I agree on low fuel causing problems. Having had those problems, if I get below half a tank I fill back up...Just takes a few minutes and apparently solves a lot of problems.......which don't need.

I agree on low fuel causing problems. Having had those problems, if I get below half a tank I fill back up...Just takes a few minutes and apparently solves a lot of problems.......which don't need.
After I changed the filters we filled it up to the point you could get much is any more in but it still isn't running like it should

After I changed the filters we filled it up to the point you could get much is any more in but it still isn't running like it should
Why don't you flush the system.....crack the nuts on the fuel lines at the injectors and let some fresh fuel in, then lock them back down......do it and report back?

Why don't you flush the system.....crack the nuts on the fuel lines at the injectors and let some fresh fuel in, then lock them back down......do it and report back?
I think the problem is in/at the fuel tank since when I tried to bleed the filters they didn't bleed I had to add fuel to them so to me it seem that the fuel tank outlet is clogged

I think the problem is in/at the fuel tank since when I tried to bleed the filters they didn't bleed I had to add fuel to them so to me it seem that the fuel tank outlet is clogged
I have seen that blowing back thru the fuel line will unstop the inlet inside the tank multiple times. Easy-peasy. Mark.

I have seen that blowing back thru the fuel line will unstop the inlet inside the tank multiple times. Easy-peasy. Mark.
Not sure where I could do that plus the tractor is 100 plus yards from the shop where I have air. I figure I'll siphon the fuel out and pull all the tank outlets and clean them well and maybe pour a bit of gas in the flush it out a bit

Not sure where I could do that plus the tractor is 100 plus yards from the shop where I have air. I figure I'll siphon the fuel out and pull all the tank outlets and clean them well and maybe pour a bit of gas in the flush it out a bit
It won't take a lot of air. I have a couple of portable air tanks and if I wanted to blow it out I'd put 100# of air in at least one of them set the regulator for probably 50# take it out to the tractor, disconnect the outlet fuel line at the tank drain and give it a blast....easy-peasy. HF carries tanks as most auto parts stores. You'll use it again once you have it....one place is to air up lawn mower tires when the mower is stored away from an air source.

So what happens to the junk you blow out of the line back into the tank. Just deal with it again when the fuel gets low again ? I would empty tank by whatever means then pull shutoff out and clean tank. With clean tank shutoffs and lines there should be no more problems if the fuel bought is clean an kept clean. Like on the old Cat fuel tank cap says.

So what happens to the junk you blow out of the line back into the tank. Just deal with it again when the fuel gets low again ? I would empty tank by whatever means then pull shutoff out and clean tank. With clean tank shutoffs and lines there should be no more problems if the fuel bought is clean an kept clean. Like on the old Cat fuel tank cap says.
I plan to siphon/pump the tank out and then pull all the fuel outlets and clean them and also flush the tank with a bit of gas then put it back together and see if that fixes things. I just back from town where I picked up a pump that works on 2 D size batteries and also a siphon set up so if the pump doesn't get it all the siphon should

It won't take a lot of air. I have a couple of portable air tanks and if I wanted to blow it out I'd put 100# of air in at least one of them set the regulator for probably 50# take it out to the tractor, disconnect the outlet fuel line at the tank drain and give it a blast....easy-peasy. HF carries tanks as most auto parts stores. You'll use it again once you have it....one place is to air up lawn mower tires when the mower is stored away from an air source.
I don't have any air tanks to do that with so will drain the tank and remove the outlets and clean them and also flush the tank with some gas

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back