Implement Tires.. Help??

Kevo

New User
I had a few problems this year with the tires on my gravity wagons. I had one where the rim twisted off the hub leaving the bolts entact and another case where the tire blew up. Neither case very fun. I use 11.5x15 SL tires on my 250bu wagons. They reccomend 35 PSI cold but I am not too sure how much pressure I should use?? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated
 
On my wagons this size and even a little bigger I scrounged and bought 16 inch wheels and use what ever size used 16 inch ten ply used pickup tire will fit. These pickup tires are rated for more load than an 11L15 8 ply and are rated for that load at highway speed not 20 mph. They are a lot cheaper too and I don't think I've ever had one blow out with a load on in ten or more years running them. Lee
 
At least 40# air.
I'd phase out the 11L15SL in favor of a 11L15 10-12 ply industrial/diamond tread or a 31-10.50-15 truck tire.
The 31-10's have given us a lot less trouble than the 11L15. The diamond treads are good but a lot more money than the 31-10.
When we used to be hauling heavy loads of silage bales on the road in the summer we'd be going through a tire or two a day.
With these ones mounted tubeless the problems are almost nonexistent. Whatever you do get 40-50 pounds of air in them.

Rod
 
Kevo,

I use to work for the local fertilizer company 7 miles from my house and we use to sell and repair tires there also. Loose lug bolts/nuts were the contributing factor for rims going bad, once a crack starts it doesn't take long after that for it to fail.

As for tire pressure. I was at a tire repair seminar and they said over loading a tire is like running it low on air pressure.

One thing I found very interesting at that one seminar was this;
When you repair a hole in an inner tube it's like repairing a crack in a piece of cast iron. To keep the inner tube from ripping the hole bigger cut a small radius at each end of the hole and it won't grow any bigger. It was demonstrated and we could rip the hole/injury bigger just with our hands but when we cut a radius at each end of the tube's injury it would just stretch when we pulled on it. Once the radius has been cut you can put the patch over the injury. The patch will stretch somewhat along with the tube but it can't keep the tube from ripping. So the radius you cut in the ends of the injury takes care of that.
 
They shouldn't...
That's not to say a rotten old tire won't blow, but a new one should be fine.
The only exception to that statement is Titan's. They can relieve their sidewalls at any time for no reason whatsoever.

Rod
 
Do those 31-10.50-15 truck tires fit the same rims?

I get lost on the tire sizes, don't have a clue what those L and SL letters mean on all the diff tires. I have an 'assortment' of gravity wagons, and they are all a little different. Makes it confusing.

--->Paul
 
Yes, the 31-10.50-15's are roughly the same dimentions as the 11L15. The 11L15SL is just a low profile 11L15... so unless there is tight clearance to the body there shouldn't be a problem.
I do find that the wagons steer a little harder because you are putting a flat tread radial tire ont here rather than a conical bias, but other than that they work very well.
The steel belted tire mounted tubeless eliminates a lot of tire problems.

Rod
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top