Install new ring gear

Anonymous-0

I got the old ring gear off. Going to put new ring gear on. From what I've read, I put the flywheel in the freezer overnight, heat the new ring gear in the oven at 400 for about 45 min and then slip the gear onto the flywheel making sure its going on the correct way. Should the gear slide all the way on or should I have to be prpared to use a punch & hammer?

I'd have the punch and hammer ready, and 'hope' that it simply drops on down. Once that hot ring gear hits that cold flywheel you will have seconds before the temp starts to equalize.

If you have any luck at all it will fall on and maybee just need a 'tap' to seat it.

IE.. prepair for the worst, expect the best.

Soundguy

I don't think 400 will do it but you can try, i spec you are gonna need it around 600 plus, use a gas grill. Even some of those will not git that hot unless you are able to adjust the regulator. B-4 I got out the BFH the ring gear would have to almost go on by its self. Its alot of hard work to have to redo the job and would pay to have it installed properly, your call.

If his oven has a broil / bake setting, and is a self cleaner, he could set it to clean, and get over 500. most ovens these days ahve a 500 setting, and get hotter with 'clean' as they use both burners.. etc.

Soundguy

Bout all I do in the oven is bake biscuits/cornbread, I bake my parts on the gas grill. Now if i am gonna hide sum'n from my wife the oven makes a good hide'n place he he. shore nuff she would never look their. No need to clean ours it does not git dirty he he.

I hear ya.. I do 90% of the cooking a the house. 'Bout the only thing the wife cooks that i don't is fried chicken.

Soundguy

If you have a oxy-acet. torch I would heat it up with that or take it to someone who has one or better yet to someone who has done it before, you can't beat experience, then you can just watch and get your experience.

I agree with Ross. If you don't have one find someone that does have a oxy/acet torch and heat it until it is blue. Did mine a few weeks ago and it dropped on with no problem.

BTDT last week oven set at 500 was not good enough. I used the BBQ trick...Charcoal and cedar logs. Cooked it for 20 minutes. Dropped right on...No hammer or punch....

I know 400 will not git it done more like 600 plus, fill us in and how you did it. I have tried to take a temp reading on the gear at the rite time but unsuccessful or lets say I did not believe it. try'n to think of a name fer this myth, hummm "Shake and bake" use yer kids EZ bake oven,,, or come up with a deals like MRE's were you drink 4 beers pizz in the bag shake and install deals. he he.
pigpix.gif

I agree with the others. Don't waste your time with the oven. BTDT. Didn't work. Also set it on a pile of charcoal for about 20 minutes. Didn't work.
Finally took it to a neighbor with a torch. That worked!
Wayne

didnt have anything to take a temp reading with. It was dark blue in color..Works good fired it up last night. Didnt put any welds on it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back