Interesting electrocal ''find'' on a 4430...

wore out

I've got a 4430 in the shop to clean up some hydraulic and engine leaks and found the wire that grounds the SGB to the chassis burned in two.

I don't know how long ago this may have happened, there are no known electrical issues and most of the lights are working so there must be an alternate ground path.

I wonder how that could have happened without some line, linkage or wiring harness ground not having flowed current, as well and gotten damaged?

8l6zUTk.jpg

The entire area under the cab was packed full of oily debris, I can't image if the event happened in the last years with all the mess under there that a fire wouldn't have been started!

What could have caused it, connecting a jumper cable to the SGB somewhere?

Welding on the tractor or an implement with the welder ground attached to the SGB?

A lightning strike?

Or?

Ha anyone seen this?

oHZM9Kz.jpg

Wire is Key #31, at the right front SGB mount.

Good info.
Having a problem with my 4555. Is it grounded the same or similar as the 4430? My alternator light unexpectedly came on and a new alternator
didn't help. It then developed into the fuel gauge not working, the engine temp gauge not working, the ground radar not working, some of the
lights not working (flashers, front hood lights, dash lights). It is a quad tranny. Advice from my mechanic was that it shouldn't hurt
anything to go ahead and use it. I have used it for some ground disking with no obvious further problems. Did check the voltage at the
alternator and the batteries and it was at 15.5 volts with the engine running. This all happened a few months after transmission repair that
required removal of the SGB. It was OK for a few hours of running and then when bad as stated. What the heck??

I've seen that #31 wire on a 4640. Could have been homemade though because the wiring was really butchered up on that tractor.

Is that wire actually burned or just broke off from somebody working on the tractor???

Check the small wires going to the alternator, were not the best quality for some reason. JD made a kit to fix the problem.

(quoted from post at 08:05:25 07/13/23)
I've seen that #31 wire on a 4640. Could have been homemade though because the wiring was really butchered up on that tractor.

Is that wire actually burned or just broke off from somebody working on the tractor???

The wire has obviously been HOT, the insulation is burned off, and it's burned cleanly in two, with little blobs of melted copper at the ends of the individual strands much like how the tip of a used welding rod looks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back