Interesting Sign

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
On Sunday, I was noticing a sign at a gas station that advertised regular at $3.84-9/10 a gallon, and Marlboros at $3.85 a pack. I commented to my wife that I remember when I could buy either one for 35 cents.

Until then, I never realized just how ancient I really was.
 
I remember my first winter driving, the winter of '98/'99 and gas here in MN was 1.10 a gallon almost the whole winter.
 
1970 when I started driving, gas could be found for less than 20 cents/gallon, and they would pump it for you. Buying a dollars worth was common, and filling the tank was a luxury. Less than 10 years later, it was $1.20 gallon. Kind of puts our current price rise into perspective.

Keith
 
Yep , I hauled firewood at $5 a load stacked and it took 2 loads to fill the tank on my 49 chevy truck, took 2 more loads to have enough money go have fun on the weekend, Remember when you could feel rich with a $20 bill in your pocket! The other day I bought a half tank of gas, 2 gallons of milk and 2 cartons of choke sticks and it was $106. that was a real wake up call!
 
When I got my first car, I could buy Texaco Fire Chief gasoline--none of that cut-rate, no-name stuff for me--for 32.9 cents a gallon. Marlboro red, in the flip-top box, was 35 cents a pack in the vending machines, and $2.99 a carton at the grocery store...AND you got Red Stamps at the grocery as well!

With gas and smokes at 10 times the price they were then, I oughta be making $33.50 an hour to be breaking even...
 
I remember pulling into the service stations & seeing the signs sayng "25 cents" and not knowing whether they mean cigarettes or gas.
 
Except you still wouldn't be breaking even because there's more taxes to pay now. When I bought my first new car ('65 Chevy Super Sport, 327, 300 hp. 4 on the floor) I think there was hardly any sales tax.
 
Best deal I ever got on gas was a gas war in El Paso, TX 1960. It was selling for taxes, 9-cents per gallon. Best deal on cigerettes was 1954 in the USN. When we left the continental limits they sold for 85-cents per carton at ship's stores.
 
I paid $1.10 a carton for Cigs in 1960 and didn't have a driver license do to loosing it a couple years earlier (don't ask).

Gas was about 20 cents when I went to school things were petty stable back then.

Made $1,00 an hour if in a shed and 90 cents if out in the field.

Boy those were the days a kid with a summer job and money to spend.

Walt
 
I well remember when I could fill up my VW bug for 3 bucks and get change back!!
Oh well..........it's nice to remember some of the time.
 
I set a new personal record with my suburban. $140 fill up. I'm 45 years young but gas, trucks, almost anything else - just add a zero to the end of the price I paid when I was first driving. Same time period produce off the farm has tripled at best. Many things like strawberries and tomatoes and watermelons have been locked in for decades. No, we don't get $6.99 for two the size of softballs in a sock and call them "personal" the way walmart does. We call them crop failure. I guess I'm getting off topic so I'll quit.
 
I remember being ticked off when a local gas station bumped the price to $1.85 at 11:00 am 9/11/01.

I still do not but gas at the three stations that gouged the public that day.
 
I remember how upset I was when it cost me 5 bucks to fill up my Pontiac- 1968 or thereabouts- gas price went over 40 cents a gallon.
 
i had a 1969 ss 396- 325 horse chevelle 4 on the floor it had a bench seat from the factory. how many of you have seen a chevelle super sport with a bench seat?
when the gas price mess started in the 70s i traded the ss for a capric classic as i thought 50 cents a gallon for gas was to much money.
 
I can remember when i was 12 in 1944 getting gas out of the pump at the farm and when I got caught I had to work it off at $.25 per hour for 5 gals. Later after the war I would go to the gas station, hand the attendant a buck, tell him to fill it up and keep the change. Gas was less than $.10 per gal then. Course I was in high clover by then because I was earning$.50 per hour on the farm. Nuff said Henry
 
When I was a kid my mom would take my brothers and I to Sunday school.On the way home we would stop at the paper store.She would give one of us a $1.00 bill, we would go in and get two packs of Camel cigs for dad and the Sunday paper and have to give her the change.Could you see someone selling cigaretts to an 8 year old today?
 
I remember when gas was in the 85 cent range. But my dad could buy a pack of smokes for 12cents when he was a kid, in the early 50's. Of course kids cant buy smokes these days. But kids are worse now then back then, even my generation could buy smokes at the store when you were somewhere around 16.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top