Is it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
 

Attachments

  • 20261007_154415.jpg
    20261007_154415.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I use a length of thread rod through the axle and bolted to to my work table. I then have two hands free to work the tire irons.
Working the inner tube in and over the wheel takes a little of strength. I use the smooth rounded end of a 9/16" combination wrench to help work the tube into place.
 
Is it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
I bought the harbor Freight small tire changer a number of years ago. I can't remember what happened but I couldn't make it work. Visit to a professional tire shop and PRESTO! All done no problems. Should have gone there to begin with. The Harbor Freight thing is still out in my shed somewhere. You know, I thought it would be so easy and I would save money. Anyone want a Harbor Freight small tire changer at discount?
 
Is it me? Or the smaller the tire the harder they are to change....shredded one on the tedder traveling across town...I've had an easier time with an 18.4-38??
Yes they are and I'm talking as a person who did tire repair for a living a few times in my life. A old truck split rim is easier to me then a tire that size
 
I bought the harbor Freight small tire changer a number of years ago. I can't remember what happened but I couldn't make it work. Visit to a professional tire shop and PRESTO! All done no problems. Should have gone there to begin with. The Harbor Freight thing is still out in my shed somewhere. You know, I thought it would be so easy and I would save money. Anyone want a Harbor Freight small tire changer at discount?
Funny, I said the same thing about taking a tire to the tire shop a few days ago and got a tongue lashing!! 🤷‍♂️
 
I’d much rather change a 24.5 truck tire than I had a lawn mower tire. Other than slinging the extra weight, a 24.5 tire is lots easier to change.
Agreed. I used to say that once the bead is broken on a 11Rx24.5, I could have it off the rim in less than a minute. One time I timed myself. Wrong. It took a minute and 15 seconds. Of course, I have my home made tire tools. A piece of leaf spring welded to a 5 foot long inch pipe and a shorter one with a smaller leaf spring on 3 foot piece of 3/4 inch pipe. The leaf springs are ground down to be real smooth so they will slide.
 
OP, here's the recent thread where this was just being discussed:

 
I have struggled with those small tires too. After wrestling for an hour to put new tires on a 12 horse lawn tractor once, I gave up and took it to a nearby tire shop. The guy looked at me with a HEH HEH under his breath. He greased the flanges and started the bead, then walked to a floor mat, dropped to his knees and pushed it on to the rim. I just walked away shaking my head.
 
I use a length of thread rod through the axle and bolted to to my work table. I then have two hands free to work the tire irons.
Working the inner tube in and over the wheel takes a little of strength. I use the smooth rounded end of a 9/16" combination wrench to help work the tube into place.
I bought a HF small tire changing device that clamps to your work bench....works pretty good but still needs a little work with some extra tools and soapy water to get the job done.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top