Is there anyone yet around who rebuilds tractor steering wheels?

Gambles

I think I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd run this past the group before I buy the epoxy. Is there anyone who rebuilds the old rubber-coated steering wheels? For those of you itching to recommend this company, Minn-Kota has shut their doors, actually quite a few years ago. When putting the subject in a search engine, one or two companies come up, but they seem to be extinct also. To anyone, saying "Buy a new one", I probably would if I could find one.
The subject is an Oliver 440 tractor. I posted a reply in the Oliver section under "Oliver 440 steering" if you wish to view it.
I suspect I will be buying the epoxy (or similar product), sand paper, paint and see how much time I can put into it. TIA.

I think Jerry Trcka from Evergreen Restoration is restoring steering wheels. Same guy that does gauges for tractors. I don’t have his phone number handy you’ll have to google it

I think I know the answer to this, but I thought I'd run this past the group before I buy the epoxy. Is there anyone who rebuilds the old rubber-coated steering wheels? For those of you itching to recommend this company, Minn-Kota has shut their doors, actually quite a few years ago. When putting the subject in a search engine, one or two companies come up, but they seem to be extinct also. To anyone, saying "Buy a new one", I probably would if I could find one.
The subject is an Oliver 440 tractor. I posted a reply in the Oliver section under "Oliver 440 steering" if you wish to view it.
I suspect I will be buying the epoxy (or similar product), sand paper, paint and see how much time I can put into it. TIA.
Since the demise of Minn-Kota Repair, I know of no one restoring either steering wheels or seat torsion springs.

Contact Steering Wheel Bob in NJ. He restored 2 wheels for me off 74 IHC 200 PU. Excellent work I highly recommend him.
Google him

I think Jerry Trcka from Evergreen Restoration is restoring steering wheels. Same guy that does gauges for tractors. I don’t have his phone number handy you’ll have to google it
EverGreen Restoration has an ad in Farm Collector that says they do steering wheel recovering. 715 520 7876.

Contact Steering Wheel Bob in NJ. He restored 2 wheels for me off 74 IHC 200 PU. Excellent work I highly recommend him.
Google him

Steering Wheel Bob's Pricing for Steering Wheel Restoration​

• A "just paint" restoration starts at $750.
  • The typical starting price for a simple restoration is around $800. This generally denotes a wheel with fewer cracks and without complex trim rings or other features that require more detailed restoration work.
  • A wheel with multiple cracks, severe checking or deterioration, and/or a partially exposed core will usually run between $800-$950.
  • A wheel that has to be reconstructed (large pieces missing, damaged core, etc.) starts at $900.
  • Downsized and grafted wheels start at $1,650.
  • Shipping is not included in the above prices, but even with insurance is usually about $75.
  • As a veteran, Bob is proud to extend a discount to Military & Law Enforcement.

Too bad I'm not in the military or in law enforcement, cuz I could sure use the discount.
:unsure: But thanks for your recommendation.

Steering Wheel Bob's Pricing for Steering Wheel Restoration​

• A "just paint" restoration starts at $750.
  • The typical starting price for a simple restoration is around $800. This generally denotes a wheel with fewer cracks and without complex trim rings or other features that require more detailed restoration work.
  • A wheel with multiple cracks, severe checking or deterioration, and/or a partially exposed core will usually run between $800-$950.
  • A wheel that has to be reconstructed (large pieces missing, damaged core, etc.) starts at $900.
  • Downsized and grafted wheels start at $1,650.
  • Shipping is not included in the above prices, but even with insurance is usually about $75.
  • As a veteran, Bob is proud to extend a discount to Military & Law Enforcement.

Too bad I'm not in the military or in law enforcement, cuz I could sure use the discount.
:unsure: But thanks for your recommendation.
Ouch! I need to learn the steering wheel restoration trade!

Bobs is more for the high end automotive market. I have a friend with a 1955 Eldorado that he restored and he spent around $1200 for refurbishing the steering wheel on it. It’s also a $150,000 car so having the correct wheel is crucial.

I had a Farmall 340 with a typically cracked open wheel with rusty spokes insides the cracks. I sandblasted the heck out of any rusty metal I could see, filled the cracks with bondo and painted it black. It's been 20 years of show use and it still looks good. Now, keep in mind, I don't grab it and pull my full weight up when I get on board.

Bobs is more for the high end automotive market. I have a friend with a 1955 Eldorado that he restored and he spent around $1200 for refurbishing the steering wheel on it. It’s also a $150,000 car so having the correct wheel is crucial.
Somewhat explains this better.

I get steering wheel resto, but the prices like 1200 for a tractor wheel? Many people just buy a replacement.
That would have been my first choice. But (it seems) nobody makes a replacement direct-fit steering wheel for the Oliver 440.
I also called one of the steering wheel restoration companies listed on this thread. I was told that they couldn't help me "because I don't have the mold for it." While the $1200 dollar company might fix me up, I can't part with that much money for a small tractor.
So I've decided to do the repair myself. I'll be getting some two-part epoxy, sand paper and paint and see how "bad" I can fix it. :LOL:
Here is what it presently looks like.

Attachments

• 440steer1.JPG
    440steer1.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 440steer2.JPG
    440steer2.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 440steer3.JPG
    440steer3.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 36
I went the epoxy/bondo route on the wheel on my 49 Pontiac. Filling the cracks and deformities was no problem. After several sandings and re paintings, I could never get the finish the way I like and gave up. My car certainly isn't worth Bob's prices.
20220630_133219_HDR.jpg
20220508_161925_HDR.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back