Is this a water pump?

Hello again I'm trying to order a gasket set for my farmall bn. The two options I have is the tractor with water pump and the earlier tractor that does not have a pump. My tractor is a 1941. Does my tractor have the pump on it. I know it's prob a dumb question but I'm still learning. Thanks for any and all info.

Attachments

• IMG_20240610_171243464.jpg
    IMG_20240610_171243464.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
Hello again I'm trying to order a gasket set for my farmall bn. The two options I have is the tractor with water pump and the earlier tractor that does not have a pump. My tractor is a 1941. Does my tractor have the pump on it. I know it's prob a dumb question but I'm still learning. Thanks for any and all info.
NO water pump in your photo.

When you have a water pump it will be turned by the fan belt to pump the water. I don't think BN's ever had a water pump unless someone added it later.

I know my 1947 BN has no water pump.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure what ever gasket set you get that the head gasket is the right one for your engine. A few decades ago when I did a ground up rebuild on my BN, this was before the internet and forums like this, I bought a gasket set from a tractor supply house. It was a Felpro set so I figured it was good. That was until after running the tractor a few time noticed water in the oil. Checked all kinds of things and finally happened to compare the new head gasket to the oil one I lucky had not tossed out. That's when I noticed the difference in the coolant passages of the two. The "new" gasket had slightly small holes for the coolant and on close inspection did not match with the passages in the block 100%.

For get how I determined the correct part number but once head was reinstalled with the right gasket coolant leak into oil was history. Like I said it's been a few decades, something like 40 years and still going strong today.

Now if I could find a radiator cap that seals better I would be happy. It only leaks if I come to a stop while facing down hill. I have even tried to add a little silicon around the rubber gasket but sometimes if the cap is slightly off to one side it leaks.

Not to cause trouble here----but none of the A, B, BN with the thermosiphon
cooling has as thermostat if I recall correctly.
Jim

Not to cause trouble here----but none of the A, B, BN with the thermosiphon
cooling has as thermostat if I recall correctly.
Jim

You are correct, there is no thermostat in that housing. At least not from the factory.

You can put a water pump on a BN engine using a Super C water pump, but it would go on the lower block water inlet, not the top and it would run off the generator belt, again using a Super C generator belt.

Nope. That's a water neck with attached fan mount. Not sure there is a water pump for the B's.

Mike

You are correct, there is no thermostat in that housing. At least not from the factory.

You can put a water pump on a BN engine using a Super C water pump, but it would go on the lower block water inlet, not the top and it would run off the generator belt, again using a Super C generator belt.
Agree, except it runs off the fan belt. Fan belt running on 2 pulleys = no water pump. Fan belt going around a third pulley = water pump. A pump was available for power unit engines. It was an option on the C. It was standard equipment on the Super C and the later models with the C-123 engine.

Agree, except it runs off the fan belt. Fan belt running on 2 pulleys = no water pump. Fan belt going around a third pulley = water pump. A pump was available for power unit engines. It was an option on the C. It was standard equipment on the Super C and the later models with the C-123 engine.

You are no doubt correct. It's been nearly 20 years since I put the water pump on my B.
Memory isn't what is used to be.

What you're looking at is the thermostat housing so you'll need to gasket for thati

I know my 1947 BN has no water pump.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure what ever gasket set you get that the head gasket is the right one for your engine. A few decades ago when I did a ground up rebuild on my BN, this was before the internet and forums like this, I bought a gasket set from a tractor supply house. It was a Felpro set so I figured it was good. That was until after running the tractor a few time noticed water in the oil. Checked all kinds of things and finally happened to compare the new head gasket to the oil one I lucky had not tossed out. That's when I noticed the difference in the coolant passages of the two. The "new" gasket had slightly small holes for the coolant and on close inspection did not match with the passages in the block 100%.

For get how I determined the correct part number but once head was reinstalled with the right gasket coolant leak into oil was history. Like I said it's been a few decades, something like 40 years and still going strong today.

Now if I could find a radiator cap that seals better I would be happy. It only leaks if I come to a stop while facing down hill. I have even tried to add a little silicon around the rubber gasket but sometimes if the cap is slightly off to one side it leaks.
Your radiator cap should not seal.....it's a thermo syphon system. It will leak , spit, spew coolant until it reaches a happy level. No need to fill it full.

Your radiator cap should not seal.....it's a thermo syphon system. It will leak , spit, spew coolant until it reaches a happy level. No need to fill it full.
Well the radiator has a over flow pipe that enters the top tank and ends up just below the top of the filler neck. So I don't know why there would be a problem if the cap actually sealed.

It does have a rubber gasket so I don't think the factory expected the coolant to just gush out every time you were facing down hill or stopped fast.

I know it's not a pressure system.

I may just fabricate a cap that I can use a thumb nut or knob to tighten it so it does seal. That way any coolant trying to get out will have to go into my catch jug I have on the side of the tractor, It's not pretty but I have a one gallon jug hanging on a bolt in the flywheel housing that does catch coolant going out the over flow pipe from the top tank.

Last edited:
Well the radiator has a over flow pipe that enters the top tank and ends up just below the top of the filler neck. So I don't know why there would be a problem if the cap actually sealed.

It does have a rubber gasket so I don't think the factory expected the coolant to just gush out every time you were facing down hill or stopped fast.

I know it's not a pressure system.

I may just fabricate a cap that I can use a thumb nut or knob to tighten it so it does seal. That way any coolant trying to get out will have to go into my catch jug I have on the side of the tractor, It's not pretty but I have a one gallon jug hanging on a bolt in the flywheel housing that does catch coolant going out the over flow pipe from the top tank.
Your tractor,your call......but they weren't designed to be "full" or have a seal tight cap. They are supposed to get hot, coolant expands, extra runs out. (It will stop running out at it's happy place) Especially going down hill. I'm fairly certain it's covered in the manual....But , again,your tractor,your call .......

It's not like having the cap sealed would cause pressure build up due to expansion as there is a 3/8 inch overflow tube from the top tank. That is what I have going into the catch jug one the side of tractor.

What I'm trying to reduce is the large amount of coolant spilling all over the front of the tractor and blowing back at me while mowing.

Manual says capacity of system is 3 3/8 gallons and more than once I have been able to add a full gallon of coolant to bring the level up into the neck of radiator.

It's not like having the cap sealed would cause pressure build up due to expansion as there is a 3/8 inch overflow tube from the top tank. That is what I have going into the catch jug one the side of tractor.

What I'm trying to reduce is the large amount of coolant spilling all over the front of the tractor and blowing back at me while mowing.

Manual says capacity of system is 3 3/8 gallons and more than once I have been able to add a full gallon of coolant to bring the level up into the neck of radiator.
Ahhhhhhhhnhh🤪 you win!!! I give up. I just hate that Farmall wasn't smart enough to add that unnecessary expansion tank. I hate that Farmall figured out a perfectly working thermo syphon system. I hate that it worked for 80 years. I hate I think it still works as designed and described in the manual. ....have a great day. I have more things to do than arguing with a total stranger who's mind is made up. I will just go play with my dozens of Farmalls ( all thermo syphoning correctly 🤣)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back