.....Its Just the Little Things.....

Texasmark

As the song goes.....had this 1965 Ford 3000D at least 25 years. Bought it well used, had around 5600 hours at the time, and had to do an inframe (should have realized that starting fluid in April in Tx. to get it to light off meant no compression), it had some half-fast sheet metal and some paint work done....pedals, clutch especially, were so worn that not only were the raised buttons worn off the clutch, the flat steel was worn to the point that you could drop a quarter dollar through the gap in the middle of the pedal.....but I was Lusting in my Heart (Jimmy Carter) for a 3000, there hadn't been any and on the work one day this one pops up on the side of the road.

Fast forward. I buy diesel from one reputable place....have a Goldman (gold something) final filter in my fuel supply line, use 55 gallon drums that I keep sealed, sitting in a trailer (my fuel trailer) under cover...picky about clean fuel....buttttttt...last year I got this fuel filter change craze after reading on here about dirty fuel filters and pump mortality....so all the tractors got new fuel filters.......however, in all that time, I never thought about the strainer in the fuel outlet valve. Well yesterday it took it's toll. Had been noticing that it didn't seem to have it's old get up and go, had just had the pump overhauled recently, thinking it was the pump but never did it occur to me to check the strainer.

So I had been running hard for about 3 hours and she just shut down and you could tell it was running out of fuel....out in the back of a neighbor's field, (where else) and nobody around. I got it home and by then pretty much figured where to look for my problem. Drained my fuel tank removed it and the screen was completely covered with rust powder.

The thing I like about CAV pumps and the smaller 3 cyl. Fords is that getting fuel back to the injectors, and bleeding them as a 1 man operation is effortless. The fuel bleed is one on each filter cannister, the bleed screw on the pump, you can reach the starting key with your left hand while your right is on the 5/8 OE wrench on the injectors. Piece of cake.

So in short, when you do your filters, do your tank's filter screen too....or at least every once in awhile.

Well that got me through my first cup of coffee....will fill her up and start reading the posts.

Some tractors don't have a sediment bowl and screen on them. My 806 diesel has not had one since I owned it. Was not there when I bought it. Just the filters. I change them every year or as needed. Just replaced the injection pump this spring. I guess after 50 plus years I'm not going to complain. First pump we have ever had to change on anything with about 15-20 different diesels around here.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back