JD 4000 rim/casting saga

In 1979 my Dad bought a 4000D on farm auction. In 1984 I swapped out 16.9x34 rears for 16.9x38. Fast forward to 2019. Tractor is now loader tractor. Rims rotted out badly from fluid and decide to get new rims and use three sets wheel weights and a weigh bar on 3pt hitch. In December buy new double bevel rims at Wold in St. Ansgar Iowa. Have knee replaced January 3rd. Last week take tractor over to neighbor?s shop as they are having tire work done also. This Tuesday tire guy calls with news I have a Manheim casting and correct rim is $237 more or about double. Decide to find casting to fit new rims I already have on hand. Find nice set 38 inch casting number R48954 marked 4440 at salvage yard. Looking up we are pretty sure sleeves from my casting that starts with an L will work. This morning pop one sleeve out of my old casting and it actually fits! Believe my old one castings came off 2840. Will try to sell my Manheim castings on Craigslist.

Sage Continues. This morning put R48954 castings on the 4000. Sleeves for 3 1/8 inch axle worked fine. But gear that engages rack on axle needed to be bigger diameter to make up the difference. BUT the holes tapped in the casting were METRIC on one of them. 18 mm instead of 3/4 inch. Maybe off a European tractor?

Will do but might not be till Monday. There are actually two
different numbers on the castings both starting with L.

The castings that came off each had two numbers. L29137 and L32554. Rims actually were better than I thought. Going to put on Craigslist.

According to search on JD parts 8 tractor models utilized # L29137 & 145 models utilized # L32554.. I checked several random tractor models that these cast wheels fit & didn't locate any wedges for these wheels that utilized metric bolts to secure wedges to wheels.

May have been unclear. Both L castings I took off had holes threaded for 18mm bolts. <bOne of the R48594 castings I put on had
the same. But one had holes tapped for 18mm coarse threads As God is my witness. Does
not show in any domestic or Europe 40 series models in Deere
online parts. But there it was.

Editing flubbed my reply. The L castings we?re tapped and threaded for 3/4inch bolts. One of the R48954 was tapped and threaded for 18mm thread. Could have knocked me over with a feather.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back