JD 4020 Before After Pics

Bobl1958

Posted on JD site, but thought I would post here as well. Here is the before and after pics of the 1964 JD 4020 Diesel Standard Power Shift tractor. Turns out the tractor actually (per previous owner who purchased it in 1972) shows 2954 hours are supposed to be correct. Fellow was a plumber and didn't farm. Fed a few animals all the years he owned it. Not sure on hours, but original tach works and only shows 29xx hours so who knows. Sold the loader and cab and found a set of std fenders. I'm really impressed how good this tractor really runs. Kinda big but I'll probably pull a Vee rake with and probably pull a small square baler as well. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Before the money I spent on oil and filters, I will have $1600 in the tractor. Bob

cvphoto103957.jpg

cvphoto103958.jpg

(quoted from post at 17:57:35 10/09/21)

NICE "save"!

I have it's slightly older brother, a 1963 standard powershift, an AWESOME machine/BEAST.

Has an M&W turbo and was run hard and put away wet many times before I got it, the P.O. was a "BTO" "back in the day" and the covered LOTS of land with a couple of 4020's.

It was ROUGH when I got it and I've only made needed repairs and it's still in it's work clothes.

It's AMAZING the technology DEERE brought to the market in those days, NOTHING on the market could compare to the closed-center hydraulic system, GOOD power steering and functioning brakes.

Ahh, a nice low hour 4020, we had a older guy who bought one of the first 5010, he also pulled the rake with it, that created a lot of small talk at the repair shop, back in the 60's !!!

Engine rpm/s surging could be caused by restricted fuel flow to inj pump BUT more than likely inj pump drive ring or governor is failing. Repair of IP will require R&R & disassembly of IP.

The tractor starts on the first turn even
at 50 degrees which is good. The pump has
a small leak somewhere on it that I can't
see. When the tractor first starts the
engine wants to surge bad. If I pull the
throttle handle down and back up real fast
once, like stomping on the footfeed in an
old pickup back in the day to kick the
choke off, then it operates just like it
is supposed to. No surging and smooth.
Next time I start it I have to do the same
thing.
I have a good diesel shop not far away I
will take it to and they can get it
running correctly. Then put it in the shed
for the winter. I have cab tractors for
feeding when it's cold..lol.
cvphoto104033.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:18:39 10/10/21) [

4020 was classified as beginning year model in 1964 not 1963.
ractordata.com says 63-72.[/quote]ttps://forumphotos.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto82961.png[/img]
mvphoto82962.png

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 10/10/2021 at 07:12 am.

(quoted from post at 02:56:26 10/10/21)
(quoted from post at 22:21:08 10/09/21)
(quoted from post at 17:57:35 10/09/21)

NICE "save"!

I have it's slightly older brother, a 1963 standard powershift, an AWESOME machine/BEAST.

4020 was classified as beginning year model in 1964 not 1963.

Jim, thanks for pointing that out.

I have a 1965 4020 and an older (in the 60 thousands) 4020.

I had a brain fart and was thinking the older one was a '63, even though I have looked the s.n. up many times over the years to find it is a '64.

You're welcome. The older I get the more mistakes I make!

I welcome it when someone corrects my mistakes. I think information on discussion forums should be as correct as possible.

(quoted from post at 09:42:31 10/10/21)
You're welcome. The older I get the more mistakes I make!

I welcome it when someone corrects my mistakes. I think information on discussion forums should be as correct as possible.

I'm with you 100% on that, Jim!

Very nice tractor. I like the sturdy rigid front axle.
The cab looked like an Excel cab built in Hesston,KS.

It is interesting that you have no three point hitch but the yet have the lower link support, and no wide swing drawbar.
It means you can still get leaks at the load control shaft!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back