JD 4020 steering valve leaks

Q-1414

New User
I realize this is an old subject, bit it is still quite relevant from what I hear.

I am about to take ownership of a 1969 Deere 4020 from a very close relative in Indianola, Iowa, it has about 5000 hours on it, really nice condition, except for the steering valve.
The long time owner has had the massive steering valve leak repaired THREE TIMES now from the dealership in that area, each time it came back and leaked, again.

I tried to get him to get it repaired by someone with a brain, but I guess now it's up to me. It is taking everything I can muster not to name the dealership here, but in fairness to anyone who might need to take their equipment there for service, I should.

My question, for now, is where to take the steering valve to have it properly repaired in Iowa, or should I just take it out and replace it with a rebuilt unit, or do it myself. Obviously the local dealership has no clue how to do it properly, otherwise I would not be writing here, the rebuild work on the bench is just nuts and bolts, the major part is obviously the removal and re-install, just looking for some help finding a reliable source to do the bench work.

Thanks

(quoted from post at 13:05:54 03/22/20) I realize this is an old subject, bit it is still quite relevant from what I hear.

I am about to take ownership of a 1969 Deere 4020 from a very close relative in Indianola, Iowa, it has about 5000 hours on it, really nice condition, except for the steering valve.
The long time owner has had the massive steering valve leak repaired THREE TIMES now from the dealership in that area, each time it came back and leaked, again.

I tried to get him to get it repaired by someone with a brain, but I guess now it's up to me. It is taking everything I can muster not to name the dealership here, but in fairness to anyone who might need to take their equipment there for service, I should.

My question, for now, is where to take the steering valve to have it properly repaired in Iowa, or should I just take it out and replace it with a rebuilt unit, or do it myself. Obviously the local dealership has no clue how to do it properly, otherwise I would not be writing here, the rebuild work on the bench is just nuts and bolts, the major part is obviously the removal and re-install, just looking for some help finding a reliable source to do the bench work.

Thanks

Surf down a couple of Forums to the John Deere Forum and post there.

Tim S, a DEERE GURU in Ohio offers a PROFESSIONAL rebuild on these from a guy that knows what he's doing.

You can ship it to him for repair and return.

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewforum.php?f=18

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back