JD 4020 vs Oliver 1755

trying to decide whether to put money into some repairs (convert to 12V and some broken windows on the cab) on my 1964 4020 or trade for a 1971 Oliver 1755 that's in a lot better shape. The Oliver doesn't have a front loader that the 4020 does. I use the tractor for plowing/grading a long driveway, loading round bails, and helping with clearing brush. Any advice?
 
Let me first start out and say that I am an Oliver guy. But, given the circumstances, I would keep the 4020. Mainly just because it has a loader and it sounds like you use the loader. The Oliver is a great tractor IF it has had the engine updates to prevent it from throwing a rod out the side of the block. The previous sentence is mainly for the diesels. If the Oliver is a gas then the engine problems could potentially still be there but on the gassers the problems are less severe. The 1755 is a much more modernized tractor than a 4020 Deere. Personally, I would take the cab off the 4020. Then you wont have to replace a window. But you may want the cab.
 
What kind of shape is the bucket/loader on the 4020? If its decent then keep the 4020, unless you plan on buying a loader for the 55. When converting from 24v to 12v, the kit from JD is overpriced ($1,000)in my opinion. When I was a partsman at our local JD dealer we got our kits from Select Parts out of Sioux City IA. The hydraul-shift on the 1755 has more/better gear selection than the JD sychro or powershift. The engine issues weren't as common on the lower hp non-turbo Olivers, but I personally would rather have the updates. Is the 1755 diesel? I wouldn't buy a gas, too hard on fuel.
 
Get the brackets to change the loader over to the Oliver.
I'll be honest,if it was me,for what you're going to use it for,I'd be looking for a 1655 instead. But if the 1755 is what's available,sure,change the loader over and go for it.
 
Besides, that Oliver is over 35 yrs old. If it ain't had a rebuild or flown apart yet.......I'd do exactly as RRLund said. get or make mounts to put your loader on the 1755.

Larry NEIL
 
The 1755s had those problems too. Just not as severe as the turboed 18 and 19. I have seen 1755s throw rods because of the wrist pin bushings. It is even more of a problem when the owner "turns up the fuel" to get more power due to the extra heat being produced. The 1755s are not in the clear just because they dont have turbos.
 
Without being partial to either brand, why make work for yourself? The 4020 is a proven leader in its class and the loader is beneficial to your cause. And when it is time to sell, you will likely have a larger pool of buyers in the JD camp.
 
keep 4020 you will atleast be able to get your money out of it later on could you say that about a 1755
 
Thanks for the reply. The bucket/loader's in pretty good shape. also has a grapple on it. It's been welded on one side where it must of cracked. The Oliver is a diesel. JD dealer's quoted me $1700 for the 12V conversion.
 
Thanks for the reply. The Oliver appeals to me because it looks to be in great shape including the cab, but haven't had a chance to hear it run. The add for it says it runs great. My 4020 is in pretty used shape. How serious is this engine issue though?
 
I'm trying to be educational here,not condicending. You're absolutely right about the resale value of a Deere,but that only matters if you know when to take advantage of it.
I bought a 4040 brand new. Loved it,wore it right out. Because it was a Deere and had so much resale value,I was able to trade it,even money for a Series 3 White 2-135 with a third fewer hours and half again as much horsepower. I only paid for the Deere but traded it for one that wasn't worn out,so I got two for the price of one. When I bought the Deere,it was about the same price as a White 2-85 or 2-105. That's when the resale value of a Deere mattered,when I bought it new.
I did the same thing with a 3010. That tractor was to the point of being totally worn out and worthless. Again,Deere resale value,I traded it even money to a jockey for an Oliver 1600 with fewer that 4000 hours.

Sounds like the original poster has the oportunity to do the same thing now. Trade a worn out Deere for an Oliver in good shape. So whatever he paid for the Deere in the first place got him two for the price of one if he takes advantage of the situation and trades.
 
Price your rebuild kits for either tractor remember your jd has inboard brakes at that age if they go to pieces that will get expensive real quick been on both the later Jd are super sweet but expensive to work on and the tranny on the Oliver is almost bulletproof the Oliver is easier to work if you have to also we have done all our on work on ours never scared if we have any problems but as was said some folks are colored blind good luck
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top