JD 420 govenor thrust bearing

Jmountainjr

New User
I currently have two JD 420 engines apart to assemble one for my 420 crawler. While taking them apart, I noticed that the govenor thrust bearings were installed opposite from each other. One had the solid end of the bearing against the flyweights and one had it against the output shaft. My JD 420 service manual only covers adjustments and refers to a section in the 40 manual for details. So looking for help in the correct way to install the thrust bearing.
Thanks,
Jim

(quoted from post at 08:10:01 11/14/20) I currently have two JD 420 engines apart to assemble one for my 420 crawler. While taking them apart, I noticed that the govenor thrust bearings were installed opposite from each other. One had the solid end of the bearing against the flyweights and one had it against the output shaft. My JD 420 service manual only covers adjustments and refers to a section in the 40 manual for details. So looking for help in the correct way to install the thrust bearing.
Thanks,
Jim

The parts catalog doesn't shed any more light on this, either.

Probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Unless someone has a good reason to do otherwise I'd put the thrust bearing end of the sleeve next to the fork.

" Place governor thrust bearing into position on governor shaft with free thrust face , that is thrust face that rotates freely in thrust bearing, faces toward the governor operating fork."

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Just what I was looking for. I was leaning towards putting the solid face towards the flyweights, but this confirmation helps much.
Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back