JD 48 loader lift cylinders

herk

Hello how rare are 2 3/4 inch lift cylinders for a 48 loader I have the 2 1/4 inch and would like to have the larger for lifting round bales,
I see that they were a option for that loader. Thanks Bryan

likely an option for a lower pressure hyd system like a 2 cyl. if you have a newer high pressure system and go with larger cyl. it could start breaking things ?

I should have said I have a low pressure system it runs at 1650 to 1750 . thanks Bryan

The high pressure lift cylinders on a 48 will not lift your hat from your head on a low pressure two cylinder system. I had to have the ends of high pressure cylinders welded to the ends of my large low pressure cylinders to get a 48 adapted to my 70. The older cylinders that fit a 45 have leather cups in them that were still available from JD when I rebuilt the cylinders after the cutoff/welding was complete. I saved the old leather cups in case they become unavailable. I also could not afford the valve to make everything work together, so I improvised. The result my son describes as having more valves than a U-boat. It works for me and when I'm under the sod someone else will have to figure it out.

Since john deere dont sell or make the 48 loader lift cylinders, does any one know what to do to replace the cylinders , 2.25 " bore. Aftermarket ?

Since john deere dont sell or make the 48 loader lift cylinders, does any one know what to do to replace the cylinders , 2.25 " bore. Aftermarket ?
Welcome to the Forums.

You will be best served by starting a new thread here of your own, about your issue. You tagged onto an old thread. Even though it is just a bit over a year old some people, who might have info to help you, see the date of the original thread and just pass it by. There are many knowledgeable members here with knowledge to help. Give the info on your loader, the issue and symptoms. The back story sometimes helps, it is better to give more info than you think might be needed, no charge for extra words.

2-1/4" bore would be the high-pressure cylinders for tractors with greater than 1600 psi systems. They offered 2-3/4" bore ones for tractors with less than 1600 psi systems. As for cylinders the first question that always comes up is have you looked into rebuilding them? Most loader cylinders are proprietary to the manufacture and often the loader model. To find a proper (or close to proper) aftermarket cylinder your need bore, stroke, closed length, rod size, and end fitting type for pins to start with. Then it becomes a matter of searching. Have you checked with a salvage yard like All States Ag Parts to see if they have used cylinders?

Welcome to the Forums.

You will be best served by starting a new thread here of your own, about your issue. You tagged onto an old thread. Even though it is just a bit over a year old some people, who might have info to help you, see the date of the original thread and just pass it by. There are many knowledgeable members here with knowledge to help. Give the info on your loader, the issue and symptoms. The back story sometimes helps, it is better to give more info than you think might be needed, no charge for extra words.

2-1/4" bore would be the high-pressure cylinders for tractors with greater than 1600 psi systems. They offered 2-3/4" bore ones for tractors with less than 1600 psi systems. As for cylinders the first question that always comes up is have you looked into rebuilding them? Most loader cylinders are proprietary to the manufacture and often the loader model. To find a proper (or close to proper) aftermarket cylinder your need bore, stroke, closed length, rod size, and end fitting type for pins to start with. Then it becomes a matter of searching. Have you checked with a salvage yard like All States Ag Parts to see if they have used cylinders?

You still didn't reveal the problem with your cylinders. Knowing the actual problem may get other ideas/info for you.
I have repacked them twice and still leak. i think the rod is worn out. John deere does not sell a cyl any more, Parts are obsolete.

A full-service hydraulic shop or a machine shop should be able to make new rods using the old ones as a pattern. They can get the chromed rod stock. I have had several made. Even if the cost is near what you can find a cylinder for, you still have the cylinder designed for the loader, not just a close to right one.

A full-service hydraulic shop or a machine shop should be able to make new rods using the old ones as a pattern. They can get the chromed rod stock. I have had several made. Even if the cost is near what you can find a cylinder for, you still have the cylinder designed for the loader, not just a close to right one.
You are right jim i will get my cyl rebuilt. thanks everyone for the info.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back