JD 500c Backhoe

markreaver

New User
This diesel backhoe sat for almost 10 yrs. I finally got it running, but it won't move forwards or back, nor will the the bucket or backhoe hydralics work. The stick under the seat showed way too much oil so I drained 8 gals out, but nothing will work. I had moved the trans release back (behind the batteries), but now pinned it forward. The engine rotates the front mounted hydralic pump(no noise), but there appears to be no pressure anywhere. I don't have a 500C backhoe operator's manuel. Can anyone suggest anything to check for hydralic pressure? Thanks
 
The 500C has a clutch disconnect lever is on left side of dash.Many times if this was pulled back it would not go foward to engage clutch.Disk in clutch could be bad.Transmission pump feeds main hyd pump if trans not turning pump not pumping oil to main pump.
 
O.K. Thanks John. I see an "S-type" bent lever on the left side and tried to move it, but it is apparently stuck in place. Maybe I can get the lever unstuck somehow. So if I read your response right, the trans has to turn to drive the hyd pump rather than the engine just turning the hyd pump??? I thought that's what the small pto shaft from engine to hyd pump was doing...??
 
The trans pump feeds main hyd pump. Main pump is on front of engine.Are you sure there is enough oil in system?Trans pump has to be pumping or tractor will not move.
 
John-I moved the that lever forward and added 8 gallons of hyd oil (which had been 8"over on the oil stick)that I had drained. The bucket now goes up and down, the backhoe works, the steering is now working, but the bucket tilt won't work, nor will the tractor move at all. I can hear some apparent internal motion when I put it in gear like it is still lacking oil somewhere, but it is at the right level on the stick. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Mark
 
Check trans release if you can trans sound change maybe the release is not engaged.I am talking about the lever behind battery.
 
John O.K. I'll check that. The parking cable on the right shifter side is stuck to I unhooked it at the console and underneath. Would that bother anything.

And to double check.....should the left clutch lever at the console be forward or back? Should the lever behind the battery be forward or back? Thanks for all your help!
 
Lever on side of consol should be foward.I cannot remember about trans disconnect. Engine off rock tractor to see when engaged.
 
John Heine - Thanks so much for your help. The lever behind the batteries made that J.D. move. I actually drove it to my property and am well on my way to having most major problems resolved.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top