AlexFar

New User
Have a jd 55 plow with the trip wheel with the cast insert. bought from wife's grandpa's estate. restored, but he put a new tire on the old rim and it won't beed to it, i trip it and when it tries to lift spins the tire and sheers the valve stem. where these tires originally solid rubber? stem passes through center of the rim, which then hits the cast iron center when rim is re clamped on...
mvphoto110437.jpg

attached is the style of rim & hub it has. inside o f rim is very irregular where the tire would bead against which keeps it from doing so...

There should be a block either welded or riveted to the rim that comes against the lug on the cast center or in a notch to hold it from doing that. If not I would make one from either a block ,nut or other type of thing and weld ,rivet it on the rim where it would catch a notch or lug somehow. If not then the bolts are loose and need removed oiled and then tightened up tight again. It is possible after all this time if they have not been off that they will not tighten yet act tight with a wrench. Had an axle U bolt act like that on a truck one time everybody was telling me it was tight and they tightened it up. Well the nut was rusted to the bolt so I had to heat it to get it loose then tighten it back up on there. Never bothered after that.

You are saying the tire is slipping on the rim, not the rim on the hub, correct? Is it a 5x21 tire?

Without seeing it, If the rim looks irregular around where the tire bead comes up against it, that sounds like rust built up on the rim. The tire needs to be removed and the rim cleaned up and repaired as needed, so that the bead contacts the rim correctly.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 10/03/2023 at 04:54 pm.

Remove that rim and examine the hub. There should be
some sort of block on the rim to fit into the hub. Same
thing as the old Ihc tractors have. Then make sure then
clamps are impact tight. I will not slip. And for whatever
reason that drive tire is backwards.

I've always understood that's the correct way to mount a trailed implement tire - goes the opposite of tractor tire lugs because the tire is driving, not driven like a tractor tire. You want the 'point' of the lugs forced into the dirt to clear mud away and get traction. So pointed forwards when the tire is powered like on a tractor, and pointed backwards when the tire is Doing the powering, like on a ground driven implement. I know I have an Oliver Raydex plow ad somewhere that shows the lift tire in that orientation.

(quoted from post at 21:12:25 10/03/23) I've always understood that's the correct way to mount a trailed implement tire - goes the opposite of tractor tire lugs because the tire is driving, not driven like a tractor tire. You want the 'point' of the lugs forced into the dirt to clear mud away and get traction. So pointed forwards when the tire is powered like on a tractor, and pointed backwards when the tire is Doing the powering, like on a ground driven implement. I know I have an Oliver Raydex plow ad somewhere that shows the lift tire in that orientation.

I agree, it's mounted the right way for the purpose.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back