JD 620 Steering catch issue

Some wear, but considering age.
1000002629.jpg
1000002630.jpg

I replace all rings, and back up rings, when I have one apart, the vane seals go on easier if heated to 140 degrees in oil , hold the vane in a vise, and install seal, be careful with the vane seal corners, they tear easily.

I replace all rings, and back up rings, when I have one apart, the vane seals go on easier if heated to 140 degrees in oil , hold the vane in a vise, and install seal, be careful with the vane seal corners, they tear easily.
Thank you for the tips on vane seals

In addition to warming up the vane seals in oil, file down the corners of the vane so there's no sharp edges. You'll find out it's not easy installing those seals without tearing or breaking them.

Another thing is try to get your steering gear 180 deg from the original place it was splined. This will give a new wear surface for the worm gear to ride on

Richard Duane, in Md. may have those, a good person to deal with, and really knows these power steering systems.

I am still working through all of this. Called Richard and he is a really knowledgeable guy and it was great talking to him. Would love to see him make a video walking thru all the intricacies of the JD power steering system and best way to adjust and what to look for. The knowledge that him and many others has is getting harder and harder to find.

I believe I now have all the parts and I am in the process of putting the steering cylinder back together and hoping to test everything together again this weekend. Started looking at the vane seals last night and removed both of the old ones, ended up tearing the first one while removing it and got the second one off in one piece. I am highly skeptical in my ability of getting the new ones back on without tearing guess we will see.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back