JD 640 hay rake tine bar bearings

BWFARMS

New User
Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to doing the tine bar bearings on a JD640 hay rake? Several years ago I had a New Holland Rake and had to replace the tine bar bearings, they were about $19.00. So I quit making hay, sold all my stuff......Now I'm going to make hay again and I'm replace all my equipment that I sold off.....Got what I felt was a great deal on a JD640 hay rake, looked it over, full well knowing that it needed some tine bar bearings replaced. No big deal right? HA! AE50456 $220.50 all the Deere rakes are built using the same part.
a226445.jpg

OOPS!!! I posted without finishing my post..... so 11 in the parts list is the shaft (knuckle), E16080, $45 bucks from Deere..... this is what's worn on my new rake.....the nuts loosened up and they wobbled in the reel wearing the shafts down to about 1/4 inch diameter. Its a 5 bar rake that I paid $500 bucks for, to do the whole assembly (#14), your talking $2200.00 which far exceeds the value of the rake. Just the shaft (#11) with out any bearings x10=$450, which I can stomach..... Next how the heck do you get the shaft and bearings out of the housing? It's solid cast....I'm thinking about drilling a hole in the back so I can use a pin and press the out. Am I on the right track? Thanks!

You are thinking right. Drill a small hole in the back and then press it apart(after removing snapring on other side). Any bearing place can get you new bearings and races. I then thread the hole you drilled and install a grease fitting which makes them better than new. I buy new snap rings as well. To remove the races from the inside turn your welder up high and put a bead of weld on the inside of the race which will cause them to shrink and they can usually be pried out. We redid our 640 a few years ago and added the fifth bar and replaced every bearing in the whole rake as well as new drive dogs and universal joints. Tom

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back