JD B ball bearing in crankcase

Pnutfarmer

New User
1949 B governor has something wrong as it feels stuck when trying to use throttle lever. While waiting on help to go into governor to see what's wrong, I decide to clean bottom of crankcase by flushing it out. Opened crankcase cover while doing this and found the three metal balls in bottom of crankcase. As I'm unfamiliar with many of the internal parts of this tractor, can anyone ID with confidence where these may have come from? Are they from the governor item 16 pictured (balls and retainer) in parts manual? All three ball bearings will fit inside bottle cap. Is this the cause of my governor issues? I have included a pic of metal balls beside a soda bottle top for size reference and a pic of parts catalog that shows the governor part mentioned in post. Or is this size ball bearing ball from a bearing elsewhere?

cvphoto139955.jpg

cvphoto139956.jpg

cvphoto139957.jpg

You have three of these bearing -JD7657R above the crankcase; two in the governor and one on the back of the fan shaft.. And yes, a bad bearing in the governor could cause your problem??

I bought an H back in the 70s and didn't know much about them. First time I changed oil I heard a couple loud clanks in the drain pan. Balls just like yours. I never could figure out where they came from. Some years later tearing it down I found a piston ring, a few of what looked like gear teeth and a governor weight pin with the cotters in and spread. All in the crankcase. No missing teeth on any of the gears and all the rings were in place.

Complete 3 piece bearing set # is 909001. Make sure you specify you want the ones with a steel cage, not a plastic one.

Over the course of the life a two cylinder JD, it is common for them to have work done on their internals. In doing so, bits and pieces of parts find their way into the bottoms of cases where they cannot be easily extracted, but because they do little harm, they are left there for future owners to discover and scratch their heads over where they come from. Generally finding such debris in the bottom of a motor or transmission is a sign of something seriously wrong, but on these old tractors, baring other signs of some sort of failure, it is often just a sign that had been previously repaired.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back