JD M belt pulley

RudyM

Just a quick question. Has anyone ever changed out the flat belt pulley for a V belt pulley on an M? I seem to remember seeing something to that effect a while back, but can't find anything in all my searching. Haven't pulled mine apart yet (buried in the back shed for the winter while the 3 point top link uses the space) but from pictures and parts diagram, it looks like its just a keyed shaft with a nut on the end. Might have to do some machining to a pulley hub to get it to fit, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Never seen it done but there's no reason it coulden't be. I'm sure you could get a Browning hub/pulley that would just drop in. Problem is the belts. If you used to to
run anything requiring much power you would need to go to a 3/4 three belt set up like was used on sawmills or old hammermills. Those belts are expensive and hard to
find. Just woulden't be practical. JMO

It's basically like a Woods belly mower. Not a real heavy load, and I plan to put as big of a pulley on as I can. Likely a B belt, possibly doubt B, but I think I can get away with a single. That's what Woods uses. Will be slightly more than 50% wrap on the pulley, so lots of contact area.

The belt pulley turns about 3 times faster than the PTO shaft. This translates to less torque than what would be transmitted through a PTO mounted pulley, which are expensive enough too.

Not too far off of this...

DSC04580-vi.jpg

When we bought our M there was nothing on the shaft so I made a flat belt pulley. I spent a lot of time on the lathe but it turned out nice.
I am pretty sure the shaft is straight but the hub of the pulley goes through the seal to a shoulder, so I don't think you could buy a stock
assembly of the shelf that would work. The M's that I have seen with a woods mower use a much larger sheave on the pto shaft.

Thanks Russ. Good thing my lathe is almost ready to start making chips then. I get all the free shafting I can pull out of the scrap bin at work. I'm sure I can come up with something.

"<font color="#6699ff">[b:654c4848f0][i:654c4848f0]from pictures and parts diagram, it looks like its just a keyed shaft with a nut on the end.[/i:654c4848f0][/b:654c4848f0]</font>

Take a look at the photo below.

a149948.jpg" width="650"

Be aware that the shaft "tapers" from 1" at the inside down to 7/8" at the threads.

a149949.jpg" width="650"

Hope this helps.

Most if not all of the pulleys for those models later in the "M" series (MT, 40, 420,430) were made by Paper Products. Perhaps from one of those you could salvage the hub.

Thanks James, I sure don't remember the keyed section of the shaft being tapered but it's been over 10 years. I never use the pulley for anything, I just wanted the tractor to be complete, and we sold it some time ago.

The only reason I remembered was that the work on the pulley was done during the first week of last November.

Went out to the shop yesterday and measured the old pulley just to make sure my "memory" was serving me correctly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back