JD R Pony Engine Question

I have recently posted a couple of messages about changing the crankcase oil in both engines of my 1952 JD R. I have followed the Operator's Manual, as well as some very helpful suggestions from some of you. I drained both crankcases, replaced the filters on the Diesel, and was ready to put new oil into the Pony engine. The manual says the little crankcase holds 2 quarts of oil.

Since this is the first time I have changed it, I started with 1 quart, waited for it to settle into the crankcase, then checked the dipstick. The level was about where I would expect it to be, about level with the BOTTOM of the 2 marks on the dipstick. So, I added the second quart, assuming that would be fine, since the manual said that's what it holds. After letting the oil settle, I then checked the level and found it to be pretty much to the top of the dipstick, way above the TOP line, and completely covering the word FULL on the stick. Is this because I have not yet started and let the engine run for a few minutes? Will that dipstick level drop once I have done that, or do I need to drain some of the oil out?

3 important points:

1. The crankcase had been completely empty.

2. I ONLY added 2 quarts, just like the manual says.

3. And, most importantly, I am fearfully reluctant to start the Pony with the oil level that high, considering I have often read that having any crankcase OVER-FULL can be harmful to the engine.

I appreciate any help any of you guys with Pony engines can provide me, as I will not proceed until I have some experienced advice and suggestions. This was my late father's tractor and I sure don't want to ruin it!

Thank you very much.

I have found that the manual tends to overstate some things as I think they say a V4 cranking engine will hold a quart. I am not familiar with the R pony. I have had to pull oil back out of my pony engines with a bulb syringe or just a plain syringe with short piece of tubing, I know you can get large syringes at TSC. Remove some, then you can safely start engine, stop and recheck would be safest. Do no harm is my motto.

(quoted from post at 16:44:50 01/28/22) I have recently posted a couple of messages about changing the crankcase oil in both engines of my 1952 JD R. I have followed the Operator's Manual, as well as some very helpful suggestions from some of you. I drained both crankcases, replaced the filters on the Diesel, and was ready to put new oil into the Pony engine. The manual says the little crankcase holds 2 quarts of oil.

Since this is the first time I have changed it, I started with 1 quart, waited for it to settle into the crankcase, then checked the dipstick. The level was about where I would expect it to be, about level with the BOTTOM of the 2 marks on the dipstick. So, I added the second quart, assuming that would be fine, since the manual said that's what it holds. After letting the oil settle, I then checked the level and found it to be pretty much to the top of the dipstick, way above the TOP line, and completely covering the word FULL on the stick. Is this because I have not yet started and let the engine run for a few minutes? Will that dipstick level drop once I have done that, or do I need to drain some of the oil out?

3 important points:

1. The crankcase had been completely empty.

2. I ONLY added 2 quarts, just like the manual says.

3. And, most importantly, I am fearfully reluctant to start the Pony with the oil level that high, considering I have often read that having any crankcase OVER-FULL can be harmful to the engine.

I appreciate any help any of you guys with Pony engines can provide me, as I will not proceed until I have some experienced advice and suggestions. This was my late father's tractor and I sure don't want to ruin it!

Thank you very much.

Apologies if you know this, but the dipstick should be resting on the opening, not screwed in.

Also, its easy to suck some oil out with one of those vacuum oil sucker things, also handy if you want to change the little engine oil and not the big one.

No apology necessary. In fact, I did NOT know that the oil level reading should be taken with the dipstick not screwed-in. That makes a huge difference in the level reading and I am very thankful for your
having mentioned it. I normally deal with another make of tractor and know quite a bit more about the mechanics of those, but I confess to not knowing very much about the mechanics of the JD R diesel and
it's pony. I spent years starting and driving it when I was a kid, but was not responsible for the maintenance or repairs. Dad and older brother usually took care of those duties.

Also, thanks to both of you for your suggestions on how to removed excess oil from the crankcase. Although it is not necessary to do now, I was supplied with an old turkey baster from the kitchen and told
that I could have it, as it was no longer in-use. It seems to fit the filler neck, so should do the job if ever needed.

Thank you again for your suggestion. Although the dipstick position may seem obvious to many, it was something I did not consider until you pointed it out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back