JD300 reverser is out

finally got the reverser assembly out and apart for inspection

i never seen one of these before and not knowing just what i'm looking at / for don't really know what to inspect or look for

there were no chips / or broken parts or pices behind the support plate...

the smooth clutch plates have rub marks on them but are smooth with no ridges or grooves cut into it and appear flat within .010, thickness .092-.095 and look to be usable to me.... replace?

the clutches with the grooves look flat .006 and the thickness .113 grooves are about .025 deep .... the spline shows wear marks the contact with the gear created and a small burr on the edge not enough to cut you but you can see and feel it .... replace?

the gear show the 3 marks from clutches but is smooth and looks like it would be normal wear ... reusable?

on the transmission end the sleeve with the 4 holes stayed in the transmission housing and the 2 rings are in place and seem fine with the kind of sharp edges you would expect for their use ... reusable?

i have not removed the snap ring to remove the 'Piston' as everything looks clean and undamaged and i might prefer not to if deemed unnecessary ... but i don't know what i'm looking at so do i need to disassemble?

the aluminum support plate however has a groove cut into it about .015 - .020 deep from the heads of the 6 bolts (show some damage also) that hold the assembly together but there were no chips and it was clean at disassembly .... i can see no reason why they have rubbed so i looked at the 2 shafts coming out of the transmission .... can't really get to the one on the outside but the center shaft easily moves in and out about 1/8 inch .... could that be causing the bolts to rub?

could the piston or something under that snap ring cause the bolts to rub?

mvphoto108912.jpg

mvphoto108913.jpg

mvphoto108914.jpg

mvphoto108915.jpg

mvphoto108916.jpg

mvphoto108917.jpg

mvphoto108918.jpg

mvphoto108919.jpg

This post was edited by [email protected] on 08/23/2023 at 08:05 am.

Somewhere in the center hole the hydraulic pressure
flows to a port to move the piston out to engage the
clutch pack. I assume you have it apart due to a ..No
drive.. issue. You will probably want to replace the
seals on that piston. You will need C clamps or a press
to compress the spring while you take off that snap
ring. I have never had one of those apart so I do not
know how much spring pressure is on it. If I was doing
it I would figure out how to air pressure check the
piston after installation after the reseal to make sure it
is all good. Those bushings in that hub are also
important. There has to be some metal or Teflon rings
that seal the oil on the inner shaft. The bushings hold
that all inline so it can seal properly. Since those bolts
rubbed it seems like something is worn and letting
things out of alignment. What transmission is this? Is it
a 8 speed Powershift with a reverser lever or
something else? Do you have a repair manual? If not
there are probably a lot of things in there about what
you need to look at.

I agree with Used Red MN. The total wear on drive or driven discs is additive. If the total exceeds the stroke, or the thrust play allows the ports to become misaligned, it will soft fail (meaning it will not be an exploded part. Were it mine, I would replace at least the fiber discs. Assessing the new thickness and making a comparison is my first step. next is determining the seal on the application piston. Jim

(quoted from post at 08:40:58 08/23/23)
I assume you have it apart due to a ..No drive.. issue.
What transmission is this?
Do you have a repair manual?

(I assume you have it apart due to a ..No drive.. issue. )
i got this unit as a pile of iron, figured on a new motor and all this other stuff comes up with the process of tearing it apart , wanted to fix anything that needed it ... no one knew anything about it's condition so you guys been helping with things as i been going. retired machinist ... more useful than a muscle car ..

(What transmission is this? Is it a 8 speed Powershift with a reverser lever )
yea i thinks that's the one 2 shifters with H pattern - the decals were gone when i got it

(Do you have a repair manual?)
i have all the book i have been able to get my hands on ... but there is nothing like hands on and a little help and conversation with other mechanics.

thanks for your help. i'll get back once i get onto the piston and we'll see what's in there. looking for more parts ... again.

So, - why is it apart? While you're in there, you should replace the clutch fiber discs. The plates are usually not an issue unless they are really messed up. Also, inspect the planetary gears of
the reverser for wear and damage.

(quoted from post at 16:57:07 08/23/23) So, - why is it apart? While you're in there, you should replace the clutch fiber discs. The plates are usually not an issue unless they are really messed up. Also, inspect the planetary gears of
the reverser for wear and damage.

it is apart because when i got it i was told it needed a new motor or some motor work .... i have another post subject 300JD Motor project that shows the motor and it issues .... center piston crank shaft to connecting rod bearing was gone .... piston was hitting / touching head at TDC .... sounded really bad ... when i was a kid and we worked on cars whenever we took a motor out if there was a clutch and pressure plate, we replaced them along with the throw out bearing as good practice .... so i got on here and ask the question ' while i got the motor out what else should i do ' it was recommended to look at the reverse and now planetary gears ... thanks i will check them out ... i opened the rockshaft cover to look at what was in there and found no broken or even damaged parts ... it all looked good and except for some shinny contact points seemed fine ... the gears change forks and everything seemed to move fine ... i will recheck for loose wore bearings and make sure everything it snug ...

anything in in the front half of the transmission housing can only be inspected by removing the steering assy and shifting lever cover? i have not done this do i need to? guess i might since i gone this far?

i have a newly rebuilt short block, rebuilt head, the radiator been to the shop, new clutch, pressure plate, throw out, starter and a box full of small misc parts ....

i hope i'm about ready to stop with the tear down and start with the re-build .... aint much else ... i haven't seen any one mention the brakes ... i was hoping to be able to see them when i took off the rockshaft cover but i don't think i see them ... they must be in the axile housing? how difficult is a brake job?

more later as i keep working on it.

THANKS a million for your help and comments ... they are appreciated greatly

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back