JD500 (3020) Won't Start

herbersj

New User
I inherited a diesel JD500 loader/hoe a year ago. The injection pump needed rebuilding as the flex ring had disintegrated, got a seal kit and the new weight cage for it and got that fixed. Put back in and it has been running fine. Last week I noticed fuel in the oil so suspected I messed up the injection pump drive seal so removed pump and sure enough the top umbrella seal was buggered. Replaced the seals put the pump back in and now tractor won't start. I can't get any fuel out of the injector lines when trying to bleed it, when turning over fuel comes out of the input line to the injector pump when loosened but nothing from the lines to the injectors. Also if I try bleeding using the lift pump manual lever I can't get it to pump out of the return line and the lever will pump only once maybe twice before going "hard" lever does not seen to return on the lift pump.
So could it be the lift pump is bad? Any specs on what pressure the lift pump should give at the injection pump input side? Any other ideas on what may be wrong? Spent the afternoon trying to get it going with no luck.

Thanks,

James

The supply pump lever will go out of stroke normally after priming a few times. About 4/5 PSI is all that's needed to supply the filter and injection pump. Remove the
injection pump side cover and bump the starter and see if the pump is turning, if not head is seized and drive shaft broken. No fuel out the return line just means the
injection pump housing is not full yet as that takes awhile for fuel to show up there.

Thanks for the quick reply, the pump is turning, I thought maybe something happened with the metering valve and linkage in there so remove it again and checked and all is good. When you turn the shaft by hand you can see things moving through the holes where the injection lines connect and the line for timing moves around.

It could possibly be a lift pump problem. Dont take this as a
smart comment but how much fuel is in it? If its below a 3rd
fill it up full it will be a lot easier to bleed everything. Im not
sure if theres a good spot on the 500 to check inlet pressure.
We have a 500b for tile at home! Not many of them around
anymore

So likes like lift pump, pulled the lines off it and used a hand pump to pump up to the injection pump, turned it over and fuel started coming out of injector lines. Will likely just put in a electric fuel pump to replace that lift pump as they are easier to get.

James

The current part number in the JD online parts book for the transfer pump is RE42211. The original type with the bowl and screen has been superseded in the JD Parts catalogs. Those should be a commonly stocked pump at John Deere given how many models used them. A parts store should be able cross that number to other brands, like Carter M73103. This site's store offers one of both types. They don't show under the 500 parts but are in the 2030 and some other Ag unitss that used the same transfer pump.

Thanks for those part numbers, called my JD dealer here with AR40259 (from the old paper parts diagram I have for the JD500A) but the guy couldn't find anything.

James

(quoted from post at 11:26:59 08/12/23) Thanks for those part numbers, called my JD dealer here with AR40259 (from the old paper parts diagram I have for the JD500A) but the guy couldn't find anything.

James

Don't know what to tell you about that guy. All I can say is the online catalog has a note that says AR40259 has been substituted and when I click on view details it gives the RE42211 part number. Worst case I know of is you might need to change the fittings that go into the pump, if the old ones aren't the same thread.

When you tighten the fittings into the new pump use two wrenches. The block the fitting screws into is not the strongest thing you will find, and new pumps have been ruined when those blocks get twisted while tightening the fittings into them. The instructions that come with some brands of that style pumps even warn of the issue.

(quoted from post at 11:26:59 08/12/23) Thanks for those part numbers, called my JD dealer here with AR40259 (from the old paper parts diagram I have for the JD500A) but the guy couldn't find anything.

James

Just a note here. You started this thread for a JD500. Here you say you have a parts book for the 500A. While these transfer pumps were the same on either and it does not affect outcome on this; you need to be careful as there may be some differences in parts for a 500 and a 500A. You should always give the full model designation when you ask questions and use manuals for the that model.

You can use the online parts catalogs at https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/ to see if parts have been superseded since your hard copy was printed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back