JD7654 Fan Shaft Governor Bearing – Seeking Info

PBrowning

From your Parts Catalogs see parts numbers JD7655R + JD7656R + JD7657R. These three pieces of the governor/fan shaft bearing all go to a top number of JD7654. The NOS version is New Departure No. 909001. A dealer in Seguin, TX is seeking $51.90 apiece for this jewel – one on hand. A dealer in Janesville, WI is asking $48.50 – none on hand! Also, dealerships seem to lack stock in sufficient quantity and so special order and an extra trip is often needed.

How does this data stack up with what you are finding? Are you content with prices, availability and product quality? I’d really be honored to hear from any of you who have some thoughts on this one. This bearing is another of those “automotive” bearings Deere chose to use, formerly made by New Departure which is long gone!

You may also share your comments in private if you so choose. My email is open. Thank you in advance. (PatB)

I know this bearing is getting difficult to find. I have been wondering if a tapered roller bearing could be substituted. Just wondering out loud. Mike

Hi Mike:

A tapered roller bearing in for the three-piece ball bearing will work just fine. It is already being done with JD7150 - the governor bearing for H, R, 80, 820 & 830 as can be viewed on our site.

What is critical is to all three dimensions of the bearing match the NOS bearing. Finding a match of inner and outer diameter seems easy, but if the height (called inner cone thickness) isn't a match, such a bearing will not do because spiral-bevel gear interface demands this dimension be pretty much on the money.

If such a bearing cannot be found readily available on the market, I am considering building one - a tapered roller bearing to suit the task. This is what we did with JD7150.

If his thing bears fruit, you will surely see it soon. (PatB)
Restoration Site, JD H

NAPA has as many as you want for about $24 each. Used for an early 50"s Chevy outer wheel bearing among others. Cross the new departure number. They are made in China and have a plastic instead of metal ball bearing retainer, but they seem fine. Just put a full set in my "37 B.

Kurt

Here is a picture of the original governor bearing and the replacement bearing from NAPA that I mentioned in my other post.

Kurt
p50442.jpg

NAPA here in Deland, FL is without but tell me they can order it - cost = $52 apiece! To fill an order last week, I managed to find ONE bearing (B-01 by National) at Advance Auto at a cost of $32! I remember that you and I met on this bearing before. You were Blessed, for I kind of think that with this kind of volatility in both availability and price, there is trouble ahead for people wanting this one.

Thanks for your reply, and I reckon time will tell on this one. (PatB)

Yeah that"s pretty odd. The store here in Raleigh (Walker auto/NAPA) had two in stock and were able to get two more the next day. This was about a month ago.

I tried CarQuest and they wanted about $65. Local JD dealer wanted around $52.

Still seems generally available. Sure are a lot of cars running around that use this as a wheel bearing.

Kurt

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back