JINMA TRACTORS

Madscotsman

New User
Does anyone have any experiance with these Chinese made "JINMA" Tractors? There is a new model that comes unassembled/crated for less than $3000.00 . Thanks, Tom in Maine
 
That is not a bargain by any means. That is about all they are worth. If you happen to get it put together and eveything is there and it fits, you have got it whipped. then when you need parts or service, good luck.
Jim
 
Think of it this way.
Cheap Chinese junk for 1/3 of the money of US made tractors. Also the Chinese tractor will last maybe 3 years, parts and service are real bad. Or....get a quality JD, IH, Kubota, Massey and own it for 15+ years and be able to get parts for a loooong time.
Dont buy junk. Do you really want a tractor made by communists?
 
I came across a website/ forums for Chinese tractor owners. It was really sad- stories of how the mainframe casting broke the first time they used it, etc., etc.- guys were selling parts from their disabled units to those still trying to keep theirs going, etc. I guess I'd stay away, at least for now.

This is a familiar pattern- remember, after WWII, how Japan started making stuff to sell to us, and it was complete garbage- "cheap Jap junk", we called it. Kewpie dolls, cigarette lighters, novelties. But eventually, they got better at it, and now, their cars and other hi-end manufactured goods are better than ours. The Koreans are about mid- cycle- their Hyundais and Kias were laughable in the beginning, but are gaining real credibility in the market now. The Chinese are still in the "make some crud, sell some crud" stage now, but you can bet that they will eventually get it figured out. I read an analysis by a manufacturing expert, and he said the sequence of events is predictable. You can't start right out making high end products, because you don't have a good enough reputation to be able to sell them for enough to recoup costs. So you make crummy stuff, really cheap, to get a toe-hold in the market, then increase your quality once you get a cash flow going from the cheap junk, because you can always sell cheap stuff to the bargain hunters.
 
Well, I Was just looking into it, what I Really need is a good old Farmall. like a '54 Super MTA OR a Super MD Or MD-TA something with live Hydraulics..I've used a few IH Tricycle tractors for getting up hay and general work like A Super C, but nothing big.
 
If you don't want something made by commies, it might be hard to buy anything today. Clothes, shoes, kids toys, tools ( the Chinese bought ryobi recently, and Milwaukee ) computers, printers, almost all electronics are made there. I think Deere and the rest of the big name companies are having parts made there now, and more in the future. Deere is manufacturing stuff there now. I don't think a under 100hp tractor is made here now. I have watching the Chinese tractor forums for years, and looking at a few. My thinking is that the quality is improving a a very quickly. The biggest barrier to buying one now is the lack of a dealer network. I think within a year or 2 you will have a choice of a JD (Chinese) or a Chinese tractor. The technology is not as high, I haven't seen any HST trans, but shuttle shifts are getting common. But they are improving rapidly. And they have the money to buy whatever technology they want. I have a friend that does a lot of business in China. He told me that the Chinese do not want our old equipment. They want the latest technology, robots and all. If you put the best technology with extremely low wage rates, I think manufacturing here is going to be under pressure for a very long time. I am looking at changing careers now.
 
I know that all stuff is made in China. It Sucks too. My old company jumped on the commie band wagon and got cheap stuff from China. (the old addage is true "you get what you pay for" The quality is poor. I think of the manufactured stuff from China as kids toys, cheap flashlights, Rice, pollution and of course babies. 1.4 billion chinks, havent they heard of condoms?
And now Cheap tractors. I read that the Cherry car company cant even pass the low grade crash test in the USA. (Cherry is a Chinese car company)
 
You might be surprised at what gets made there now. As for Chery, they have a deal with Chrysler to import small cars for the 2010 model year. That's the kiss of death for small car manufacturing in the US. Mahindra or Tata from India are coming in soon. But before that happens, AAM, Johnson controls, Delphi and all the other part vendors will be sourcing into asia. My plant is mostly empty now. The new engine plants are using vendors to "cube" the castings. This has evolved into finish machining of parts. The new engine programs are assembly operations, basically outsourcing all the skilled work. Tonawonda, NY, got a new engine program. 150 jobs. The castings are cast and machined in Brazil, and assembled in NY. If the work was done here, that would be 2000 + jobs. Our manufacturing base is being hollowed out by these corporations looking for the biggest profit.
 
I was looking into buying one of them last year. A cheap new tractor was appealing... Until I found the website for Chinese tractors owners. The warranty is only like 90 days for those tractors, which is essentially worthless for anything other than an immediate failure. From the testimonials they seem prone to sudden, catastrophic, casting failures.

After reading what the owners had to say, I decided I was better off buying a similarly priced used John Deere, Ford, IH, etc. The likelyhood of a repair is about the same. The warranty is about the same (nearly nonexistant). The used one will be more powerful, not prone to casting failure, and parts are available.

If you are a decent mechanic (or want to become one) and don't actually need to depend on the tractor I think it would be fun a machine to have.

I ended up buying a '68 Ford 3000 diesel for $2800 and have spent another $800 on repairs. Much more machine than a $4000 Jinma.
CTOA website
 
One thought JD and other tractor makers are entering into deals with Chinese manufacturers. Especially for engine production.
 
This issue is still out for me. On the surface I can see the loss of jobs to Mexico, China ect.
As a zero sum game this would be just a loss. But its not a zero sum game.

Take DVD players. All are made over seas now. But what if we made our own?
A DVD player would cost a whole lot more. Demand would be alot less.
Lets say RCA made them. They employee 1000 people to make them. Plus some for marketing delivery and support ect. Home movie sales would be alot less. Less people to support that avenue.

With them made over seas. Cost is low. real low demand is very high as every one can buy more than one. We have 4 of them.
There are 10,000s of jobs just to support the demand for DVD players, media, Movies ect.

Money for the US economy goes from Millions of dollars to Billions of dollars.
Goes from a few 1000 jobs to 10000 jobs.
I understand that part. Here where I get lost.

Is 1000 $20 hr jobs better than 10000 $10 hr jobs? For me having a $20 hr job is better.

One other thing I have seen. There are good paying jobs still out there. Just not putting toasters together. There is a real shortage of CNC machine operators here. They pay in $20+ hr range. Companies are actually paying for the Tech school for those who want to work. Same for almost all the skilled trades. Plumers, Electritians ect. I suspect with the aging of our work force this will only get worse.

So I guess my take right now is. The days of High School drop outs getting good jobs are over. STill alot there for those who work at it though.
 
A lot of the problem is with the young folks themselves these days. Either didn't learn enough to handle any job not involving fries, or they can't pass a drug test, or both. I am on the Civil Service Commission in this county, and we are responsible for hiring deputy Sheriffs and correction officers for the jail. We're short of both. A typical situation happened a couple months ago- 10 people had passed everything except the physical testing. Sent them out with the pi$$ bottles for the drug test- 7 of them just kept on walking. So many kids these days are just throwing their lives away- its a real shame.
 
Put the money into an older US made tractor.You may have to do some repairs but you will have a better tractor.My old Ford cost 1300.00 plus 200.00 in repairs.Most of the repair money went into a new PTO shaft.The old 1 1/8 was chewed up and I needed a 1 3/8 shaft.The tractor has been doing what I need for 15 years.Many older tractor are beat pretty bad but you can still find a good one.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top