tlak

More jobs Americans won't do. Looks like a union shop, probably $15-30hr. A lot of boo-hoo kids/family, maybe ICE needs to just move faster.

ICE: Nearly 600 detained in Mississippi plant raid By HOLBROOK MOHR, Associated Press Writer
9 minutes ago

LAUREL, Miss. - The largest single-workplace immigration raid in U.S. history has caused panic among Hispanic families in this small southern Mississippi town, where federal agents rounded up nearly 600 plant workers suspected of being in the country illegally.

One worker caught in Monday's sweep at the Howard Industries transformer plant said fellow workers applauded as immigrants were taken into custody. Federal officials said a tip from a union member prompted them to start investigating several years ago.

Fabiola Pena, 21, cradled her 2-year-old daughter as she described a chaotic scene at the plant as the raid began, followed by clapping.

"I was crying the whole time. I didn't know what to do," Pena said. "We didn't know what was happening because everyone started running. Some people thought it was a bomb but then we figured out it was immigration."

About 100 of the 595 detained workers were released for humanitarian reasons, many of them mothers who were fitted with electronic monitoring bracelets and allowed to go home to their children, officials said.

About 475 other workers were transferred to a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facility in Jena, La. Nine who were under 18 were transferred to the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.

John Foxworth, an attorney representing some of the immigrants, said eight appeared in federal court in Hattiesburg on Tuesday because they face criminal charges for allegedly using false Social Security and residency identification.

He said the raid was traumatic for families.

"There was no communication, an immediate loss of any kind of news and a lack of understanding of what's happening to their loved ones," he said. "A complete and utter feeling of helplessness."

The superintendent of the county school district said about half of approximately 160 Hispanic students were absent Tuesday.

Roberto Velez, pastor at Iglesia Cristiana Peniel, where an estimated 30 to 40 percent of the 200 parishioners were caught up in the raid, said parents were afraid immigration officials would take them.

"They didn't send their kids to school today," he said. "How scared is that?"

Those detained were from Brazil, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, and Peru, said Barbara Gonzalez, an ICE spokeswoman.

Elizabeth Alegria, 26, a Mexican immigrant, was working at the plant Monday when ICE agents stormed in. When they found out she has two sons, ages 4 and 9, she was fitted with a bracelet and told to appear in federal court next month. Her husband, Andres, was not so lucky.

"I'm very traumatized because I don't know if they are going to let my husband go and when I will see him," Elizabeth Alegria said through a translator Tuesday as she returned to the Howard Industries parking lot to retrieve her sport utility vehicle.

"We have kids without dads and pregnant mothers who got their husbands taken away," said Velez's son, Robert, youth pastor at the church. "It was like a horror story. They got handled like they were criminals."

Howard Industries is in Mississippi's Pine Belt region, known for commercial timber growth and chicken processing plants. The tech company produces dozens of products ranging from electrical transformers to medical supplies, according to its Web site.

Gonzalez said agents had executed search warrants at both the plant and the company headquarters in nearby Ellisville. She said no company executives had been detained, but this is an "ongoing investigation and yesterday's action was just the first part."

A woman at the Ellisville headquarters told The Associated Press on Tuesday that no one was available to answer questions.

In a statement to the Laurel Leader-Call newspaper, Howard Industries said the company "runs every check allowed to ascertain the immigration status of all applicants for its jobs."

"It is company policy that it hires only U.S. citizens and legal immigrants," the statement said.

Gov. Haley Barbour recently signed a law requiring Mississippi employers to use a U.S. Homeland Security system to check new workers' immigration status.

The law took effect July 1 for businesses with state contracts and takes effect Jan. 1 for other businesses. Mississippi lawmakers once used laptops made by Howard Industries, but it's not clear whether the company has current state contracts.

Under the law, a company found guilty of employing illegal immigrants could lose public contracts for three years and the right to do business in Mississippi for one year.

The law also makes it a felony for an illegal immigrant to accept a job in Mississippi. A message was left with the district attorney's office after hours seeking comment on whether he would use the law to bring state charges against Howard Industries or the workers.

The Mississippi raid is one of several nationwide in recent years.

On May 12, federal immigration officials swept into Agriprocessors, the nation's largest kosher meatpacking plant, in Iowa. Nearly 400 workers were detained and dozens of fraudulent permanent resident alien cards were seized from the plant's human resources department, according to court records. In December 2006, 1,297 were arrested at Swift meatpacking plants in Nebraska and five other states.

___

I would kill for a $15/hr job right now.

I decided to give the WC away because i do not feel right about selling it. Coulda used that money too, but its not all about money.

"They got handled like they were criminals"?

If they're in this country illegally, they ARE criminals.

I liked the quote, "Treated like they were criminals".....He!!, they are criminals so why should they be treated any different. Not only were they taking money from American families in the jobs they held but also stealing it by way of taxes for the kids using the public school system, along with any other govenment services our idiot politicians thought it PC to give them.

This country is filled with immigrants and their decendents from all over the world. They came here and did things right and should be applauded for it. These people should have done the same thing and they wouldn"t have been treated like the criminals they are.....

I"d like to join the union people in applauding the Feds for a change. Sounds like they actually did their job this time instead of just wasting more of our tax money giving lip service to the idea.

Maybe they'l run north. Get'n bout time to cut tobacco round here. There was a big round up around Lexington a few years ago, couldn't find help to save your life.

Dave

It"s about time they start rounding these illegals up. There should be a 250,000 dollar fine per illegal imposed on the companies that hire them.

I am against illegal immigration as the rest of you,however I'm tired of hearing this crap about them not paying taxes.if the are working for a company like howard industries they are paying taxes,and chances are they dont file a return.if they are not paying income tax then howard industries is as big a criminal as they are

tlak,

I work a part-time job doing accounting to earn enough money to support my bad habit of farming. In Tennessee, and I thought this was a Federal Law, we require every new employee to provide a W-4 form for Federal Tax withholding and an I-9 form that confirms that the new employee is in the country legally. They have to provide a picture ID with the I-9 form PLUS, I have to register every one of them with the State of Tennessee Department of Workforce Development. That registration is done on-line and I receive a confirmation of valid registration within a couple of days after I register them.

None of this is simply company policy - it's law. I don't get how employers can claim that they "didn't know" the person they hired was an illegal alien.

Tom in TN

My son is serving a 4 year stint in the U.S. Navy. I am not sure what he makes, but it is not $15 per hour. Plenty of Americans would work for that or less. That ole story is a cop out.

What would Mexico do if they found you over there working illegally with fake credentials?

This problem should have never gotten to this point and nothing would be done to this day had people not been raising enough He!! about it.

Gene

Like Earl Pitts said this morning when he was talking about running for President:

"If you want someone in Washington that knows that the problem with illegal aliens is.... that they are illegal, vote for me."

Pitts Up, America!!

Those scared that they wont see their loved ones for a while dont have too much to worry about. I worked in Grand Island, Nebraska when they raided the Swift plant in 2006. Most of the people rounded up and shipped back home were back in GI within the month. In my opinion they should have roundups more often. I realize that many of them do jobs that most dont want to do but being here illegally is against the law and they should be punished as criminals that they are.

Tom said "I don't get how employers can claim that they "didn't know" the person they hired was an illegal alien."

About a year ago a suburb of Dallas passed an ordnance that no one could rent to an illegal. It was challenged in court and a judge ruled that only the government could make a determination if any one was legal or not and that if you had a place to rent you couldn't refuse to rent to them. I knew that was gona open a bucket of worms. Not taking up for this company BUT !!! according to this ruling they haven't got the authority to determine if they are legal.

I'm a businessman. I'm sick and tired of these "straight G" punk dirtbags walking into my door with pants sagging and hats on sideways. I've been sued three times in 10 years for "hurt" backs, "hurt" knees, unfair treatment. Lost only one of the cases (this kid said we caused his hernia, he was also moonlighting as one these ultimate fighter wannabe's). These are guys I started at $10.00 an hour, unskilled, will train. Over the past 5 years, my total legal fees are at around $95,000. So, I hire Pedro, Jorge and Jose. They work 5 times as hard, never miss work, are greatful for a job, good family men. My customers love them and I won't do without them. Here's the real issue: When American workers will match the productivity and work ethic of these Mexican workers, there will be no demand for them. It's bulls$%t when somebody cries about lost jobs here in the States to these guys that will work circles around most of the lazy, spoiled, "the government owes me something" workforce. I ain't buyin it, been burned too many times. I'll do what I got to do to keep my business open.

Go across the border at Brownsville TX. Take a little trip past the tourist hot spots and see how you get treated. They don't want us down there and you will not find english on anything. They pay taxes?? Yea, after they steal someones SS No. so they can pass as US citizens. They should never have let this thing go as long as they have. Pack them in some of those trailers they haul hogs in & send them back south of the border. Our unemployment rate might just drop.

Who could support a family on $10.00 an hour??? Thats why you get those baggy butt basterds applying for jobs. The illegals all live in a school bus on cement wheels so they can send their money to Mexico and beyond. If these people want to come here, they should do it legally. Once they get their papers, I bet you could not hire them for $10 an hour!

Yep.

I don't know any one who raises more than 10 acres of tobacco with out them. Most of the people round here who fuss bout them are the white trash on welfair that used to be good farm help, before they started draw'n a check.

Dave

I have got to regretfully agree. In the past I have been in various levels of management. When I was younger I worked with immigrants from central America. Not one of them was other than a good, hard worker. Not one of them was a crook. And all of them had really good attitudes and were a pleasure to have work for me.

Years later I had another experience with management that was rather different, this would have been about ten years ago. I had no immigrants working for me, only born and raised Americans. Those older than about 30 or 35 were good, intelligent, hard workers. Those younger were totally unmotivated and frankly LAZY. About the only thing that would have gotten them moving was a whip or a good swift kick. That was one of the most frustrating experiences of my working life. If it had not been for a need to fill the schedule adequately, I would have cut them all loose.

The problem is not ultimately immigration, illegal or otherwise. The problem is young Americans who want and expect things to be handed to them on a silver platter. I tell my children that my mother raised me with standards that were perhaps passing away when she was young. I actually like work, and not just for the paycheck. I have a very hard time dealing with people who don't like to work.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter, as poorly thought out as they might be.

Christopher

Been alot of familys raised round here on $10/ hour and less. Like I told the boys at the chicken factory that were always milk'n the clock so they could pay thier bills, "if you can't make it on $10 hour, 40 hours a week you need to pick up some cheaper habits, start ****'n for fun, or pick up some jobs on the side. If you gotta smoke $200 a week and pay $150 week in b****** support, find a weekend job.

You can live on $10 hour, after my 401 is taken out that is about what I am working for here now.

Dave

You folks must have walked to work. Don't know where you are, but in central Ohio you could'nt pay rent, let alone buy a home on $10 an hour. Some have tried and there are plenty of homes repoed by the banks. Maybe 15 or 20 of you all lived at home!

When someone has no marketable skills, no education, and can't even drive a five-speed, you can't start them at $20.00 an hour. The job they were being hired for is a labor position with a wide-open opportunity for advancement. I agree though, you can't raise a family with an entry level job. But, they sure try, with several women. Usually the state has to get involved though, garnish their wages for non-payment of child support. I've got no pity. I grew up in a lower middle class farm family earned acedemic scholarships, worked through college with no loans, and brought enough education and skills to my employer that he felt I was worth paying a nice salary for. I've been a faithful employee for ten years and I do well enough to raise my new family. I'm not real smart either, just not lazy.

alot of repo'd homes here too. You can rent a pretty nice place at $400/month. Buy a nice place under $50,000.

The repo'd homes are from people making $15-$20/hour thinking they needed $100,000+ homes and mom and dad needed a new suv each every 3 years.

ldj,

The thing is, with employment in Tennessee at least (and I think this is a Federal program), employers HAVE to report new employees to the state. The state then verifies Social Security numbers for names, locations, multiple people reporting the same SS number, etc. I think if the employers are doing what they are supposed to do, the government will enforce the matter

Tom in TN

Rent here is $800+ a month. Modest homes start at $150,000. Farm land can't be bought. I raised 3 boys and we qualified for free lunches at school, but never took a dime in handouts. There is no work here. You can't buy a decent job. Most of our industry has moved "over there" Our country's standard of living is dropping like a rock.We never had a new car. To us, low mileage is 200,000. We have always "gotten out & got under" All 3 boys have started their own company's. No retirement, no health insurance, and hope work comes in. My Dad once told me that some day there will be rich people and poor people and no one in between. When my father in law met a nnalert, he would tell him that there are two kinds, a rich one or a fool. Which one are you?

I understand what you are saying about the unemployable. You can't make them work if they don't want to. Maybe they have been spoiled by their parents, I don't know. I told my boys many times that if you have no self control, you will be of no value to yourself or anyone else. I can;t stand the baggy butt basterds with their rings in their noses. Next they will want ear notches

Oh Boo Hoo, There's no reason to ever hire them, there's million Americans out of work. Are you offering decent wages and some benefits or just making Mexican jobs?

All the tobacco workers could come in with green cards, no reason to be illegal.

After a few years ago when all the help ran off, most of the bigger guys around here have gone to the H2A program and all the paper work that goes with it. Every one says it would be a whole lot easyer to get rid of well fare. When you used local help how many sq ft they had to live in, if they had running water in the house was not your problem. If the locals wanted to work 7 days a week it was fine and you did not have to provide them with transportation and a meal a day. 10 years ago with local help when one decided they did not want to work, or wanted thier check at dinner every day there was some one waiting at the end of the drive way to take thier place. Not like that any more. I try to make do with family and few friends on the weekends. I have had pretty good luck this year. I have found a few high school kids with the help of the local ag teacher. Hope they work out.

Dave

There are alot of people out of work and most all the ones I know are out of work because they choose to be. At least 2 times a month I will be talking to some one and they tell me about their son, brother, son in law, what ever who has been looking for a job the last 6 months and they just can't find anything. Every time I give the person my number and tell them to have the unemploied to call me. I always have some thing round the place some one down on their luck could do to make a few dollars. Tobacco work, hot wires weed eated, ditch banks cut, tree lines trimed, drainage ditches dug out, the normal stuff that needs doing that I run out of time with. The last five years not a soul has called. Not one. Guess they ain't hungry yet.

Dave

I got a NEWS Flash for you --- the Pay he gets in the Navy === Clothing -- Board and Room -- Health Care -- all add up way over $15.00 per hour

Some Folks just don't know how to Think !!!! and yap their lips like a dog ....

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Cut the welfare bullcrap and once they get hungry the will work.

Who says you are supposed to be raising a family and buying a house if you are making $10 dollars an hour? Problem with americans is they all think they are entitled to a family and big house so they automatically assume they will be getting union wages for doing very little. The american dream is still within a persons grasp but not guaranteed to everybody. A smart person could easily live on $10 dollars an hour. Rent a small apartment, pay cash for a little good mileage S-10 or Ranger pickup and still have some money left at the end of the month. Or an idiot could make $27 dollars an hour, buy a $250,000 dollar house he can't afford, a cabin, duramax pickup,etc and then be in the forclosures in the back of the newspaper like hundreds of people are around our area every year.

There's no reason to ever hire them, there's million Americans out of work.

And there is a reason they are out of work.

I should clarify: Jose, Jorge and Pedro are all legal. They are not Mexican but Honduran, I think. Some of my laborers we use on a temporary basis are not legal and Mexican. I still withhold taxes and SSI and send it in to the government. The ssi will never be touched, and they won't file a tax return, so the goverements doing okay there. The work ethic of these guys, plain and simple is why I use them. Of my 12 guys, 1/4 are latin, the rest are white. Good, country boys that I have been very lucky to have found over the years. I've been through 50 or 60 others, though. I'd say most of my guys make between $2500-$3500 per month, with the 2 supervisors making $3800 per month.

I'm taking bets on how many bracelets they will get back from (ILLEGAL)immigrants!!!! and I don't have a college education

Thank you for speaking out for the rest of us that feel the same way. I think what we need is a work program like the 30's and then the welfarians can actually work for a living.

The ONLY reason there are so many illegals in this country is because big American business wants the cheap labor. A $1 saved on labor is a $1 right into the owner's pocket. Congress and law enforcement look the other way.

I used to work at an aluminum foundry. Hot dirty work. There were plenty of good ol' white boys doing the work. There were plenty of Hispanics doing good work, too. You never really knew if they knew wth they were doing, though. They'd always say "yes" even if they didn't understand.

The company knew they were illegal and hired them anyway. In my mind that makes them criminals, as well.

I don't have a problem with Hispanics working and living in this country. I do have a problem with companies contributing to illegal activity to pad their bottom lines.

Corporate America says if the illegals are deported nobody will milk the cows, pour the concrete or butcher the chickens. I say take them out and let these "top managers" solve the problem. They'll figure out a solution. Or else they will get managers that can.

Another thing they ought to do is require them to learn American English to work in the USA. That will create some good teaching jobs...

Immigrants built America.I live in a rust belt area and some of the worst nieghborhoods are being rebuilt by asian and hispanic immigrants.The reason they are illegal is the sorry state of Homeland Securities immigration policy.The more hard working family centered people that call America home the better off our country will be.

Some companies may do that, but, I don't hire them to save money by paying them less. I hire them because of how hard they work and their production. I actually pay them more than the usual rent-a-drunks you get from labor services I used to get.

No I realized that he is compensated in other ways besides just salary. It is sometimes hard to get everything in print that a person is thinking. I could have probably have been clearer. There are still a LOT of folks who would take the jobs those illegals are taking off the market. That was my point.

Now dont you feel bad, trying to belittle someone whom you really dont know?

See I can be nice and still get my point across.

Gene

From what I am getting out of this a LOT depends on what part of the country you are in. Have 16 that go to work here everymorning and the lowest is probably around $ 14.00 an hour.. the bottom line is if you want any manual labor.. weeds cut , grass mowed. roofing hadr work you have to hire someone sout of the border. Americans just won,t do the real work..Don,t know what,s going to happen when we run out of Mexicans.. not the money boys it is the hard work..

Makes me glad my parents instilled the idea to have high paying job that is durable, required and hard to replace with foreign or unskilled labour. They insisted I finish highschool and attend post secondary education.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back