John Deere 1952 MT Blowing Oil

sicilian68

New User
I inherited a 1952 John Deere MT and been wrenching on it. Got it running good but it is blowing oil out the top of the oil bath breather...so much it is running down the hood and dripping off the motor. Anyone have an idea as to why it is blowing out the oil from the oil bath?

sometimes rainwater can get in there, and that over fills it .check to see if it is over fill mark like earlier reply said. if so,look for any places water could enter

Might want to remove the valve cover.
There's a oil line in there to do the
rockers that might of broke and pushing
oil up and out. This mt should have a
like sponge filter in the pipe going in
to the valve cover and it should have a
cap with the dip stick to add oil on the side under the generator and distributor. Is the tractor maybe over filled with oil.

The oil bath only uses about a pint or
less of oil. My guess is it's full of
rain water. It wouldn't be running good
if the engine was actually pushing air
and oil out of it otherwise.

Thank you all for the input. I think the idea of the oil bath being to full may be the issue. Although the tractor has been stored in the dry, I did read that it can accumulate condensation. The oil that was spewing out of the top of the breather was very thin, not milky looking but thin. I believe cleaning the oil bath and filling with new oil is a good starting point. I have also read that standard 30 weight oil is what is to be used in the oil bath. Do any of you have a different opinion? If the oil bath doesn't fix the problem I will definitely reference the other recommended suggestions. Thanks again.

Use whatever oil you are putting in the crankcase. The hydraulic pump on a M or MT is mounted to the front of the engine. If
the seals fail on the pump, which they do with age, oil from the Touch O Matic or hitch system can go into the engine. For this
reason I always ran straight 20 or 30 wt oil in the engine and hydraulic/Touch O Matic system on my MT in case they mixed in the
engine. It is also easy to keep one type of oil on hand for the tractor that services the two systems.

If your engine is over full of engine oil then it is likely that the Touch O Matic pump seals failed and it needs to be rebuilt.
John Deere has the parts and it is not a hard job. Just have to remove other parts to get to the pump.

I agree with the other responses though - oil bath air cleaner cup is too full as a start. I have had tractors that did not
have the timing correct and backfired or ran rough and back fired or popped or burped out the air cleaner pushing some oil up
the air cleaner as well even if it was not over full.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back