John Deere H crank case ventilating system mixing water with oil

DCFarmer

The line going from the oil bath air cleaner and running into the governor housing area / crank case keeps getting clogged with water/oil mixture. Any idea why this might happen?
Screenshot 2024-02-29 220736.png

Last edited:
Have you changed the oil bath recently? Does it sit outside? What’s the oil in your crankcase like is it good or milky or?

Have you changed the oil bath recently? Does it sit outside? What’s the oil in your crankcase like is it good or milky or?
It does not sit outside; I change the oil in the oil bath every 10-15 hours; Crankcase oil has gotten milky over the winter.

So safe to say water is coming from the motor side. Coolant level dropping? And how much too much is in the engine oil?

So safe to say water is coming from the motor side. Coolant level dropping? And how much too much is in the engine oil?
Tough to diagnose here:
1. Pulled plugs, both are perfectly clean (see pictures).
2. Cranked cylinders with plugs out, no fluids discharged.
3. Compression test has good compression both cylinders.
4. No smoke at all when running.

One thing though, when I run engine up to temp, I usually see some droplets on the hood that are discharged from the exhaust. Have never been able to figure it out.

Can't seem to figure it out. No boot on the gear shifter. Could condensation get in that way, even if stored under cover? Not sure. Appreciate your replies.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Tough to diagnose here:
1. Pulled plugs, both are perfectly clean (see pictures).
2. Cranked cylinders with plugs out, no fluids discharged.
3. Compression test has good compression both cylinders.
4. No smoke at all when running.
5. Coolant level steady.
One thing though, when I run engine up to temp, I usually see some droplets on the hood that are discharged from the exhaust. Have never been able to figure it out.

Can't seem to figure it out. No boot on the gear shifter. Could condensation get in that way, even if stored under cover? Not sure. Appreciate your replies.

View attachment 60802View attachment 60803

Do you run coolant or just water? Might be a good idea to sample the engine oil see what it says. If it has ethylene glycol in it or if it is just condensation. Shifter boot should be a compartment back not the engine compartment. Do you have a breather filter over the top so in-line with the flywheel there should be a cover plate and a breather pipe where oil is usually added

Do you run coolant or just water? Might be a good idea to sample the engine oil see what it says. If it has ethylene glycol in it or if it is just condensation. Shifter boot should be a compartment back not the engine compartment. Do you have a breather filter over the top so in-line with the flywheel there should be a cover plate and a breather pipe where oil is usually added
Running coolant. I'll do an oil sample to see what it is - good suggestion. Will report results back here. Thanks for the info on the shifter boot. Yes, I have the breather in your picture. I clean it and soak it in engine oil twice a year or so.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back