John Deere 4010D follow up to follow up

Ldwallace

I am posting this so that the responses can help non mechanics like myself understand their old tractor a bit better.

I finally got a local mechanic with a good reputation to work on the tractor. I told him I needed to have the injector pump rebuilt per the advice I had gotten here per my earlier posts.

I asked him to look over the tractor and give me an over all assessment of the tractor. He suggested that he blow out the return lines.. and change the fuel filters. After that the tractor started and ran with much less white smoke. Additionally the tractor did not have the rpm increase (without me touching the throttle) as it had been doing. We hooked up the bush hog and he bush hogged for about 15 minutes.

He then shut down the tractor and said he could remove the injector pump but the tractor might be fine if it was worked.

(Per my earlier post, the tractor has not been worked hard for at least 5 years.)

Ok, I said and tried to start the tractor. It had been starting on the first hit, but now it took several long grinds before it started.

After it started it seemed to run as it had, Bushhogging in 5th gear for about 15 minutes. Then it stopped and would not restart!

I loosened the the injector pump timing window cover. This time the tractor still would not start.

I called the mechanic and told him I want him remove the injection pump so I can send it to Dieseltech per the advice of the posters here. Hopefully he can do that Friday

Comments? Advice?

Did you remove all the old fuel? I hope
I'm wrong but I fear you may have twisted
the shaft into. Your mechanic should have
listened. A pump with failed governor
ring symptoms never fixes itself. I
suspect your pump bill just doubled.

Look inside the pump timing cover area and see if the lower plate timing mark turns while cranking engine, if the plate moves, the pump hydraulic head is not seized. If
the plate DOES NOT move, head is seized and drive shaft broken.

The tractor is 45 miles away from where I live but I will look tomorrow. The old fuel was drained.

If the shaft is broken is the pump still rebuildable..?

I thought the mechanic knew what he was doing. I should just had the pump taken off.. dang!

Pump is repairable, but NEW head and drive shaft are expensive. Good used parts would help lower the repair cost. The original 3010/4010 pumps came with no speed advance,
most were updated with the speed advance similar to what 3020/4020 models have but I still see some original pumps in for repair.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back