John Deere 420T Converting to 5 Speed?

MacSteelman

New User
I have a question as to if anyone has done this before….

I have a 420t wide front with a 4speed transmission and the planetary style axles.

I have a parts tractor 420U with 5-speed and a traditional style axle housing.

I have posted pics of my 420t and the parts rear assembly of the 420u.

I would like to swap the 420U 5-speed into my 420T. I thought that the planetary style axles housings would bolt up to the sides of the 420U transmission but they are not exactly the same. It does not look like that will work. I really want to keep the planetary style but would like the 5-speed. Will the 5speed guts and shifter swap internally if nothing else?

Attachments

• IMG_7290.jpeg
    IMG_7290.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6532.jpeg
    IMG_6532.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 27
A lot more work than you think. We tried that on a 420 one time. Started out simple enough but first the drive shaft was wrong so corrected that. Then it didn't bolt up to the torque tube so swapped that out. Then the drive shaft was wrong again so fixed that. Then the clutch didn't fit the torque tube so swapped that out for the right one but then the throw out bearing fork wouldn't work with that combination. I ended up with just the motor and front wheels being original to tractor and every other part to the back was swapped one way or another. UHGGG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back