John Deere 4B Plow Identity

I bought this plow (see attachments) freshly restored 13 years ago from an experienced JD restorer. It has a 4B decal on it and I've always believed it was a 4B plow.......and now I'm not so sure.

A man recently pointed out it was a 2B plow and not a 4B because it only has two bottoms. He said the "B" means "bottom" and I told him that the "B" designates a type of plow in the "4" series, ie: 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D plows. However, he insisted that a 4B plow has four bottoms.

I did some internet research and found some plows similar to mine (and not similar at all) which say "2B". But then on the other hand, I found two and four-bottom plows which identify as "4B". I should note that all of the 2B plows were on auction sites and implement dealers websites. See the link below.

I've never heard of a 2B plow and wonder if a lot of folks use the 2B name to identify any old two bottom JD plow. I've been messing around with old JD equipment for 30 years and thought I knew a few things, but now I'm stumped pretty good.

Can anyone clear this up? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_7716.JPG
    IMG_7716.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7708.JPG
    IMG_7708.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
Does your plow have beam numbers cast in the upper surface of each beam? If so, those numbers will identify the model of plow. Post back with those numbers, and I may be able to identify.

And why does it really matter if it is just a trailer queen for shows. If it was going to be a used working plow. Wear parts would need to be found for replacement as they wore out in use, so then most are a generic fit for most plows built later than the older probably 30's plows. Our old Oliver plow used the same points on it as the new plows did in the 80's.

Definitely a Model 4B plow, when used to describe any plow a "B" following a number means the number of bottoms, but John Deere produced Number 4 plows as #4, 4A, 4B, 4C and 4D. Each slightly different but the 4B, 4Cand 4D were basically the same with different feaures.

Definitely a Model 4B plow, when used to describe any plow a "B" following a number means the number of bottoms, but John Deere produced Number 4 plows as #4, 4A, 4B, 4C and 4D. Each slightly different but the 4B, 4Cand 4D were basically the same with different feaures.
Thanks for your reply Bob. I saw several two-bottom plows on Polk's website and it didn't matter their type, they were all described as "2B". So I can safely assume "2B" is just an acronym and not a model designation.

I bought this plow (see attachments) freshly restored 13 years ago from an experienced JD restorer. It has a 4B decal on it and I've always believed it was a 4B plow.......and now I'm not so sure.

A man recently pointed out it was a 2B plow and not a 4B because it only has two bottoms. He said the "B" means "bottom" and I told him that the "B" designates a type of plow in the "4" series, ie: 4A, 4B, 4C, and 4D plows. However, he insisted that a 4B plow has four bottoms.

I did some internet research and found some plows similar to mine (and not similar at all) which say "2B". But then on the other hand, I found two and four-bottom plows which identify as "4B". I should note that all of the 2B plows were on auction sites and implement dealers websites. See the link below.

I've never heard of a 2B plow and wonder if a lot of folks use the 2B name to identify any old two bottom JD plow. I've been messing around with old JD equipment for 30 years and thought I knew a few things, but now I'm stumped pretty good.

Can anyone clear this up? Thanks.
Even JDparts lists a 4B as a 2 bottom, like ET said.

Those beam numbers are correct for a John Deere 4B plow, (also correct for a 4C plow) according to the plow book by David Wolfe. I do not know the difference between a 4B and a 4C.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back