John Deere model 44 plow

I don't get how the rear wheel could be off the ground?? I have 2 - 3 trailer plows and they trail on all 3 wheels. Maybe your hitch is to high or messed up. A good picture of the whole plow in tow position would help???? Cleddy
cvphoto143582.jpg
The #44 plow came in two configurations, model with an "A" transport on three wheels (44A and 44AH) models 44 and 44H transport on two wheels with the tail wheel off the ground, very common on many 2 bottom plows.

I've got a plow just about like yours but mine doesn't look near as nice and is on steel instead of rubber. Mine will sway from side to side at 15ish mph but no violent whipping. Mine has the original clevis hitch like what yours appears to have so there's plenty of opportunity for extra movement. Are the pin connections in your hitch all free from slop?

These plows are a bit of a challenge to hook up by yourself, aren't they? Nothing like fighting 150+ lbs of negative tongue weight to push the hitch down the the height of the drawbar . . .

How secure is the tractor drawbar? The sway of the plow has to be related to the tractor drawbar and/or the clevis or possibly the tightness of the bolts of the plow hitch area. Is the clevis attached to the "swinging" drawbar with that bar held in a "locked" position with bolts or pins? Even with the "swinging" portion of the drawbar held "locked", the clevis can still have side-to-side movement. Watch the plow hitch while you're traveling on the road to see what side-to-side movement it has. Then you can see what needs fixing.

The #44 plow came in two configurations, model with an "A" transport on three wheels (44A and 44AH) models 44 and 44H transport on two wheels with the tail wheel off the ground, very common on many 2 bottom plows.
Bob Collins has it explained correctly about the tail wheel. The "H" in the model means hydraulic lift.

This entry needs to be deleted but I don't see a "delete" option. Please delete this entry if you know how. Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back