John Deere model 44 plow

vincegsc

I started plowing at about 13 with a model 44 2 bottom plow. 50 years later, I got ahold of one and restored it. Plows fine. Problem is, when I
take it on the road, it whips violently from side to side. I'm sur my Dad's didn't do that. Suggestions?

cvphoto143532.jpg

This plow has the metal rear wheel that is off the ground when plow is up. And, my '46 B only goes 10 mph.

Let it down slightly as that changes the angle of the axles and that helps. My 44 model plow was a hydrolic lift and if I remeber correctly or might have been some other plow but I had to het it down a bit instead of full transport height.

Thanks for the tip. Should the strap be parallel to the hitch? At first thought, it should be diagonal, but how would you turn a corner? And, why do you suggest furrow side?

I don't get how the rear wheel could be off the ground?? I have 2 - 3 trailer plows and they trail on all 3 wheels. Maybe your hitch is to high or messed up. A good picture of the whole plow in tow position would help???? Cleddy
cvphoto143582.jpg

I think the version that he has carries the furrow wheel when lifted, not riding on the wheel at all the time so his version does not have that pin. I have seen that style in the parts books but have never seen one. But the way you are thinking is the way all 55 plows were made because they were a 3 bottom and too heavy on back end to carry the third bottom.. I have had a No. 52, No 44 and a number 55 plus AC that carried the tail wheel, Moline that rode on the tail wheel, same as Oliver and Massy Harris and Case. So I have had experiance with alot of plows including that 44. And I had to lower the carrying height to control his problem. The axles in fully raised position just set too straight up in fully raised position that there is enough play in axle mounts to let the axle move and that is what is making his problem. Just set the levers down so the plow bottoms clear the pavement by about 3 inches and that should take care of that problem as that changes the angle of the axles from verticial to angling forward to get rid of the axle jumping around in the bearings holding the axle and getting rid of that jumping around will either stop or lessed the wipping around the plow is doing.

Merry Christmas, RustRed. Nice pic of the snow. Where are you? I'm in SC and we had the coldest Christmas morning in 30 years at 11 deg. Nice pic of plow in the snow. My plow's back end is not like yours. I have a steel tail wheel that is off the ground when the plow is up. I'm thinking that its swaying is due to something like weight distribution front to back or to wrong caster, camber or toe-in.

That setting it as close to the ground for transport takes care of the weight distribution problem. You are moving the wheels farther forward when you lower it to the ground. Just keep it high enough you are not plowing the road. As long as the tires are not too big to let you plow at full depth the larger tire will help with the weight distribution as you can lower it more and still clear the road. Just try lowering it while setting and watch those wheels move.

Contact Steve Smith aka Plowman and get a manual for it. Cannot believe how many times I reach for mine!

Thanks. I have the manuals for the plow. I bought plowshares and parts to rebuild the lift clutch from the Plow Guy, Tyler Buchheit. I'll add the Plowman to my list of resources.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back