John Deere 503

nicko-31

Greeting's All, I have a old 503 John Deere that is in need of a tail wheel and No one has one and even if I could find it the cost is over $200.00. Has anyone any information on a replacement ?? Thank you in advance

Not familar with that model No. and as you say tail wheel makes me think
plow but I never heard of a plow with a model number like that.

(quoted from post at 17:11:53 06/16/23) Not familar with that model No. and as you say tail wheel makes me think
plow but I never heard of a plow with a model number like that.
My apologies, it is a Rotary Cutter also know as. (Bush Hog) it's only I believe a 5' wide that I use on my Ford 8-N.

(quoted from post at 02:44:22 06/17/23) Just get a generic and fab it up to fit. Or if brackets are there any wheel that will fit the fork will work.
Yes, brackets are still there. I don't have any where near me that I can source a generic wheel. I'll have to check eBay which is always a chance. Usually doesn't go well.

It looks like the 503 used a 16-inch or a 12-inch OD tail wheel, depending on the serial number. Both used a 3/4 inch bore bushing. Do you have the remains of the old wheel to compare to those dimensions or get dimensions from the old wheel to look for a new one? You may have to use the dimensions, not just the part number to find a generic one you can make work.

Don't know where or how you are looking but I find many that could be made to work for less than $200. I expect the $200 is from John Deere. Do a web search for rotary cutter tailwheels. eBay, Amazon, DN Equipment, Agri Supply, Zoro, Sloan, and many others have options for tail wheels as well as places that sell rotary cutters.

You might even be able to use a wheelbarrow wheel avaible at a lot of
places, any store that sells wheelbarrows would sell them. And some are a no
flat type as well.

(quoted from post at 07:29:12 06/17/23) You might even be able to use a wheelbarrow wheel avaible at a lot of
places, any store that sells wheelbarrows would sell them. And some are a no
flat type as well.
Thank you for the replies, I currently have a wheel barrow set up on it but it goes flat due to thorns, also tried the solid type but rolled off the rim first time using it. It is a 12". So. I have installed with washer's to center it on the fork.

(quoted from post at 11:33:57 06/17/23) So that solid type did you take it back as defective, Should have.
yes I did take it back. I will get it off the cutter tomorrow and try to get more info so I can make a better view of what to do.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back