John Deere 70 brake job

Okay, I took off the large nut on the right side brake drum, and after about a year, it finally got loose enough to separate the drum from the splined shaft. So I tried to pull the drum off...wouldn't quite come off. So then I removed the three large bolts that hold the whole assembly to the crankcase, no problem. I remove the splined shaft from the assembly, no problem. Then, again, I try to remove the drum from the brake assembly. Problem. I have tried loosening the shoe adjustment, still won't come off. Acts like something is just barely preventing it from coming off. Ideas? And if anybody gives me an "800" number, at this point, I'm open to anything. Thanks, Hugh

Make sure to turn the adjusting screw clockwise as far out as it will go.

IMG_3188.jpg" width="650"

This allows the brake shoes to move in at the top of the brake drum.

The two adjusting pins may be "stuck".

IMG_3187.jpg" width="650"

You might consider tightening the adjusting screw then loosening the adjusting screw to get them moving.

Work the brake pedal back and forth to get the cam moving at the bottom of the brake shoes.

IMG_3070.jpg" width="650"

There is also a possibility that one or both of the springs are broken.

IMG_3035.jpg" width="650"

You might also consider rotating the drum and "tapping" the edge with a metal punch until it comes off.

Hope this helps.

Hugh take the big nut off, remove the washers, put big nut back on so it's flush with the end of the threaded shaft. Rap the end of the shaft sharply with a 4 lb hammer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back