John deere 830 rockshaft and lift arm problems.

Kickford1

New User
Hello,
I just started having an issue with my 3 point lift. It started when a accidentally dropped my lift arms too quick. Then my lift arms both went up as high a they could and would not lower no matter what I did with the tractor running or not.
I was able to get the low portion of the rockshaft to allow lifting and lowering but when I move my RS to anything above L it starts to raise the three point and the rockshaft lever won't detent up without fighting it to get it back to low seeing with the tractor off. Controlling this in low sucks as the three point is very slow to lift. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is cam follower(shaded part) isn't located correctly in rockshaft control linkage or spring is broken or loose. You could try viewing via a bore scope in hyd filler hole behind seat. Another option would be foolowing L/D mechabnism linkage adjustment procedures outlined in 830 tech manual

mvphoto91943.png

I had a similar isdue with my 2020 few days ago. Three piints raised suddently. This was very dangerous because I had a three pints forkl8ft mast on the three pint and it almost pinched me between mast and steering wheel. ( i have modified it to be like a 2130).

Anyway, it was the piece 15 that had fallen off and i was able to find it with a magnet, after draining oil.
Then I put it back together but three point was erratic. It would not raised much, then raised to fully up if arms were shaken. I did not thrust that for doing rear mast work, so I disassemble it again and found linkage 5/7 to be bent/stuck. This linkage is used to make sure that the three points does not ho too high and hits very hard the casting, plus prevents the pump from trying to push harder up, particularly good on leaky three points.

I know this is useful, but for the time being, I took that linkahe off, it is not there on slanted forward 40 series IIRC, and I estimate it could always be very dangerous if stuck for some reasons.

Do please check your linkage well, for your own safety.
Three points is very easy to lift up: put a chain at the front seat hole and lift.
It is advisable to put two long screws at the front of the housing (reuse the longest one from the rockshaft) before lifting, oherwise you have super high chances to damage the steel seal.
Make sure the square O ring is in place before installing rockshaft . No need for a new one if all goes well.

Thanks for the input,
I looked in the opening with an inspection
scope. No broken springs that I could see.
Currently the load selector will not raise
up to the D depth position. It appears the
selector shaft rod is pushing against the
return spring for the cam follower along
with pushing against the rod tube linkage
above it like something is broken etc, a
linkage pin or something.
I am hoping the load control shaft isn't
bent with some kind of constant
deflection. Is that even possible?
If I gently pry on the nut for the cam
follower adjusting screw. I can get the
lever to free up and go up to D. But it
just raises the three point all the way if
I do that. Ugh.

Hello,
Yes I thought this was very neve racking
seeing this thing rise as high as it could
go, no matter what I did with the control
position lever.
It seems to only move in LD but isn't very
good control. Very small window of lifting
and neutral.
I will look further into this. Is the
rockshaft cover that hard to remove and at
least look at what's going on. I have a
cherry picker. I'm seeing the bolts are
all different lengths and want to make
sure the load selector arm is in the slot
of the link when re-installing the cover?

JD utility tractror rockshaft housings aren't very difficult to R&R%. Most difficult part is getting linkage on cam follower correctly when reinstalling housing. I suggest to replace RS control valve & piston seals while housing is removed.

Thanks,
Much appreciated. I will look into getting
the RS seals while I'm in there.
Do I need a cover gasket or is sealant
enough. I see that the gasket is hard to
come by.
My frustration was that I needed the
tractor the day of gravel delivery to my
driveway. Never fails.
I can kind of lift it in the LD but it's
not very controllable.

Take care

I think if gasket is intact that one could resuse it. The only place on housing to trans case mounting area that receives hyd pressure is where quad ring T17882 is located

I have a
cherry picker. I'm seeing the bolts are
all different lengths and want to make
sure the load selector arm is in the slot
of the link when re-installing the cover?

A cherry picker attached to a chain lifting on the front seat bolt will work very well.
Yes, the bolts are all different length. You want to guide the rockshaft when going up and down so you do not damage the quad ring and the metallic gasket.
That is why you take the longest bolts and put 2 of them at the front where the shortest are. You can do it differently, but you are likely to have the ghaskets bent, and the quad ring falling in the trans. housing, particularly if you do it alone.

This way, you can safely lift your rockshaft 3 inches at the rear to install the linkage at the right spot. To install, place the control lever in L and the depth control in low position.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back