John Deere 950 model 80 loader new lift cylinders

kjoffice

New User
Gentlemen I have a model 80 John Deere loader that had two lift cylinders that no longer would hold the weight of the bucket. Did the measurements and found out that with the following list of materials you can replace the JD cylinders with much larger and far more useful cylinders. The source and list of materials I used are as follows:
1. TWO - 2.25x19x1.25 DOUBLE ACTING HYDRAULIC LOADER CYLINDER 9-8487 -( Ebay Item No.291132821319 ) Source SURPLUS CENTER –Lincoln-NE. $119.98 + shipping.
2. FOUR – Carbon Steel Spanner Bushings 1.25” OD 1.0” ID x 3 9/16” length (Ebay
Item No. 390530983046 ) $11.96 + shipping.
3. TWO - R2-06 Hydraulic Hose 14.5” OAL having one 0-ring flat surface WFFX-06-08 and MBX 90-6-8 Source Hydraulax Products 5606 Tulip Street, Philadelphia, PA -215-744-2828 ordered ON LINE at http://www.discounthydraulichose.com - $53.74 + shipping.
4. TWO – R2-06 Hydraulic Hose 36” OAL having one 0-ring flat surface WFFX-
06-08 and MBX 90-6-8 same source as item 3. --$56.52 + shipping
5. TWO. – FS4000-08 ORFS O-rings- $0.18 and I got 8 just in case others leak.
6. ONE Box PERFORMANCE TOOL GREASE FITTINGS W54245 BRAND NEW Ebay number ( 360747480606 ) ¼ X 28T 45 degree. $4.99
7. ONE - ½ gallon of hydraulic oil.

Having access to a metal lathe and milling machine is most useful. The four Carbon Steel
Bushings need to be cut to fit each location. The 2.25 cylinders have 1.25” pin holes. The cylinder ends will need to be machined (or use 4 1/4” hand grinder very carefully) to fit the cylinder end on your tractor. Mine were not the same on both sides. Be sure to drill the correct size and tap for correct grease fittings. The additional reach from 15” to 19” is most helpful. The increase in size provided additional lifting force that so far has more than exceeded my expectations. Main work is the machine time setup when milling and turning and drilling the cylinders. Recommend that you take care on placement of the grease fittings. Removal of the old cylinders is a bit messy that I found using old ice cream containers with handles worked very well and keep clean up to a minimum. As a note local John Deere dealer quoted me $335.00 EACH for replacement of cylinders and over $300 for the hoses. NOTE: BE SURE TO place your order on line with the people in Philadelphia for there is a large price difference for fittings and hose if you purchase at the counter. The extra reach will put the bucket over the side of a six wheel dump truck.

What happened that the cylinders won't hold the weight of the bucket anymore? Are the seals bad in the cylinders or the valve? I have 2" lift cylinders on my loader and can pick up 2000 lbs. if I really needed to. My tractor is also bigger than a JD 950. Putting bigger cylinders on could be a recipe for disaster and will be slower too. JD usually matches the cylinders for the capacity of the loader and tractor. By the time anyone else gets all the machining work you talk of done, you'd be cheaper with the JD cylinders.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back