John Deere A main bearing shims

Problems

How thick or how many brass shims should be in a shim pack for a 1940 john deere A? I got new babbit poured and it was measured based on a full shim pack, but my shim packs are not full. My packs all have 11 brass shims .003 thick each. Including the 2 other metal shims my thickness is .385.

For your tractor , the information I have is the shim pack A303R has ten shims of .003 each or .030 for the pack.. Four packs for two rods..

OK; On the mains, JD part no-A302R has two thicker metal shims with ten thinner brass shims.. The thin brass are sandwiched between the two steel.. Add and substract to get your clearance.. You may get more information from Paul at Paul's Rod and Bearing in Missouri.. Give a call 816-587-4747.. He re- babbits bearings and rods and knows shims..

Good info, Jim, thanks. What about the H rod shims. Mine has the brass but only three steel. Two are about .030 and one thicker, maybe .050. I can't figure out how they would go in.

MIKE; The -H- shim pack is H801R.. 10 brass shims .003 each.. On one rod, if standard crank journal, two packs per rod.. You need to keep equal amount of shims on each side of the rod bolts.. If you need more clearance, then the steel shim comes into play.. Just keep each side as equal as you can.. Need to buy shims; try ?-- Paul's Rod and Bearing-- 816-587-4747 Missouri..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back